Saturday, July 17, 2004

What Jesus fails to appreciate is that it's the meek who are the problem. ~John Cleese playing Reg in Life Of Brian

I watched Life of Brian last night.  I had never seen it before and only found out about it because of research I was doing when writing my final paper for English 285.  It is blasphemous and wickedly funny and as Ebert points out:
"Monty Python's Life of Brian" is funny, in that peculiar British way where jokes are told sideways, with the obvious point and then the delayed zinger.
Oh the absurdity...oh the nudity...and remember always look on the bright side of life!  I hope Steve Smith has seen this movie. There is one part where Judith runs in and interrupts a meeting and they propose a motion to "get on with it" and I thought of council at that moment and Bazin because they needed a seconder.  HC7 should watch this movie together, they'd love it. 
 
Outside it is one hot, muggy day.  HOT!  Even at 7 a.m. this morning it was 20 degrees already.  I was looking forward to coming to work for some air-conditioned relief.  When I came to work the air-conditioner had made this office like the arctic at Christmas.  So the heaters kicked in and are now pumping full tilt.   
How's that for logic? Only the City would be heating air-conditioned air.
Your tax dollars hard at work.
 
It has also come to my attention that some people have no idea how to read addresses.  A lady called this morning needing to get to 6325- Gateway Blvd.  Initially she told me, "I want to go to 63 Ave and 25 street". That would put her in a farmer's field between here and Sherwood park somewhere... she just didn't know how to read addresses.
 
So allow me to take a moment here and explain how addresses work in this city because it can be confusing as hell. Whatever the address is, you should be able to look at the larger number and take 2 digits of the end to get a street and Avenue:
ie:  6325- Gateway Blvd.  (6325 = 63--drop the 25-- and you get 63 Ave and Gateway Blvd.)
another example:  10424 - 178 Street.  (104--drop the 24-- and you get 104 Ave and 178 Street.)
So there you have it, just drop the last two digits.  I should mention in our illustrious city any street or Avenue that curves is given a name.  Like Argyll Road or Fort Road, or Kingsway Avenue.  Oh and Millwoods is fucked. 
 
This concludes the educational portion of this mornings' blog post.
 
In other news, Paul Wells is back posting on his Blog, and he's talking about Research and Development.  When I think of research I think of how The University seems to put way too much focus on research and not enough on teaching and quality of education.  But I am student so that is my perspective.  This focus on research comes from the top, the top being the federal government, and affects the students at a University in different ways.  Mr. Wells has a different look at it and asks some interesting questions, things I had never considered before. Oh and can I please be the 'Minister of Grass'? 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

People don't know how the streets work in this city? Man, that was one of the first things I learned when I moved back here! But I guess ladies navigate with landmarks and guys navigate using street names and numbers.

I live on a street that curves! University Ave! Isn't that special?

--The Dude

Heather said...

Frick, Cromicus. Why do you have to be such a jackass? It *technically* curves at Groat road...but you knew we meant, streets that don't follow the east-west/North-south grid.
Ad yes The Dude, women, for the most part, totally use landmarks. Stereotypically, I actually have to adjust the way I give directions based on that. It makes it difficult though when I don't know the area that well...
From my experience Men will walk further than women to catch a bus or to a destination to make it easier. Men also rarely call with all the information and barely ever have a pen or paper to write things down.

"Steve Smith" said...

Actually, I haven't seen the movie. But I keep meaning to, mostly because I like sacrilege.

(I also contend that Python, while admittedly funny, is probably the world's most overrated comedy troupe.)

And there's no such thing as a motion to "get on with it". The proper motion would have been to call for orders of the day, which doesn't require a second.