Saturday, July 31, 2004

"That's easy...just drink every time it sucks..." ~ The O.T.C.

The Goonies was the movie my cousins and I watched during the summer, and when the video game came out we played that too. The Goonies was our movie. I mean there are others, we also watched Star Wars, mostly Return of The Jedi, but The Goonies sticks out to me as the movie that we watched over and over, and over....

It reminds me of funny things from my youth and childhood and makes me smile. Joey laughing and snorting Green Kool-aid out his nose, Danielle complaining about the way I make Kraft Dinner, and all of us playing the 'Alligator Game' (which easily could have just been called "Don't step on the Green Carpet", or "Jump only on the Furniture" but where is the adventure in that). You know, those endless summer days that seemed to drag but were over far too soon. I loved The Goonies.

So, we watched The Goonies again, yesterday. As an adult it is a totally different movie altogether. This might have something to do with 'The Goonies Drinking game' we played whilst watching the movie, but I think it has more to do with my reaction as an adult to the movie itself. Apparently the younger version of me didn't really think that having a genetic mutant chained to a wall in the basement was all that strange. I also never noticed the weird relationship that "Sloth" and "Chunk" form. Captial C, Creepy. They even kiss! a couple of times! ugh. My favorite bit was when Chunk comments to Sloth, "Wow Mister, you smell like phys. ed!"

The Cheerleader, Andy, struck me as a much different character now. In my youth I thought she was popular and pretty, I envied her. As an adult she struck me as a kind of a slut, and a hysterical one at that. Cripes, Samwise Gamgee even gets a piece of that action! The clothes are pretty funny too...and those glasses, why did people wear such big glasses in the 80's?

The Drinking game proved to be effective. Drinking twice when anybody says "Wow" has to be the one rule that screwed us. Holy crap.
The Dude wanted to drink every time there was cheesy 80's music. I figured you'd have to be hooked up to an IV for that one...
Here is the version we used:
Goonies Drinking Game
-Drink every time Mikey uses his inhaler
-Drink every time Data uses one of his inventions
-Drink every time old 80's slang is used Ex: narly, rad, ect.
-When Mouth speaks or translates Spanish.
-When Mikey talks to One Eyed Willie or himself
-When Chunk breaks anything, twice if it helps the situation.
-Twice when anyone mentions "The Rich Stuff"
-Twice when anyone says "Wow"
-When you see Cindy Lauper
- When the word Goonie(s) is used


I was certainly drunk by the end of the movie. Ahhh..nothing like drunken nostaligia to get you primed for a Football game.

The Esks won, again, last night. I would comment about the game, but my commentary on Football is ridiculous, at best, so I will tell you instead about the Misguided Winnipeg fan, I called him 'Target', who flaunted his colours and paid the price. Every once and a while Target would come to the top of the stairs, waive his little blue flag and taunt us, we'd boo at him, he'd get another beer, and go sit with his friends.

The 5-0 tossed out 2 other people and a fight was brewing by the 3rd quarter. It was rather eventful in College Corner last night. In the last few moments of the game poor Misguided Winnipeg fan, Target, meanders swaying and staggering up the stairs, antagonizing the crowd the whole way, and he just gets walloped in the mind by a half-full, plastic, water bottle and that starts it! If people had something in their hands they threw it...empty glasses, the lids from the glasses, then somebody launches a large pop at him. That's when the Druid Security guy finally rushed to help him. It was funny because most people missed altogether, work on your aim drunk people!!

To my amazement I saw Leon and Jeff M, from Canuck Tire, and the infamous Mike D. That was a bit of a blast from the past, and all in chronological order...I'll have to call verny and tell her...she'll get a laugh.

It was a great game. We punch-danced, even added the "double-punch." We ended up at Boston Pizza, drinking girl drink drunk in the end. Good times.
Now, sadly I am at work. I wish I was going Hack camping. They are probably leaving right now for Pigeon Lake. Have fun, Dudes. Wish I was there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, Target...he deserved it for being an idiot. If I had something to throw, I probably would have thrown it too. And Jason Maas...what a hero!

I didn't know Samwise played Rudy back in 1993. Far out, man!

--The Dude

Gary said...

What Canadian Tire did ya work at?

Heather said...

I worked at the one that used to be in West Edmonton Mall then it moved up to 178 Street and 100 Ave. That was my first job. I was a Sports Cashier. We had far too much fun at that job, I worked with some great people.