Monday, July 05, 2004

Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Living on Whyte Ave during the summer months is fantastic. Except for the fact that they should call it "Blow yer horn Alley." When the Flamers almost won the cup they blew their horns. On Canada Day they blew their horns. Greece won the European championship yesterday and they blew their horns.
At least I know when something *important* happens.

Gainers is on fire,(all the vegetarians/vegans give a cheer!) and this is causing major delays for ETS by Belvedere. This is not the end of the world people, you will get home, you just need to take the contingency bus service. The world is still turning and you will get home. Hopefully sometime tonight. That is not a guarantee though.

Steve Smith is talking about his funeral. I read his blog first before coming to my blog so he has tainted my theme. Oddly, Smith talking about funerals is rather entertaining. All I know is that the rafters in council chambers are going to get pretty cluttered with 7 stuffed hacks hanging up there. So now I feel the urge to comment here on the topic of funerals.

Smith doesn't mention music. Weird how Smith thinks of all the other stuff..I think about the music, my friend Caroline and I have had this conversation before. I think of everything in life in terms of music first. If I ever get married I know the music will be a big a part, too. So, just for the record, at my funeral I want all sorts of sappy music played. Hopefully, because I will be *so* successful, the funeral will be a big one with bagpipes and such (Amazing Grace on the bagpipes...is there anything more sad?)...but if there is no state funeral with all the pomp and circumstance, and Mr. Speaker in a top hat, then play all my favs...
You know the ones I like, slow U2 songs Like "One", Sarah Mclachlan ("Terms"), That Williams Brothers song "Can't cry hard enough". I'd like my cousin Danielle to play "Morning Has Broken" on the piano...or her brother Joe can play it on the guitar.

Oh and I'd like Gary Wallace to deliver my eulogy, please. I'd like to be cremated and buried somewhere close so that if some one wants to they can go and visit me. My mother was buried somewhere (her ashes scattered) and I can't go and visit her and that has always kinda pissed me off.

If I could, on the sad, sad day that Mr. Smith departs, I would like to be able to read that famous poem by W.H. Auden at his funeral:

"The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can ever come to any good."

That would be good and sappy, it might even live up to his gynormous ego, and it would have the whole place in tears. And isn't that the whole point of a funeral?

On another sad funeral note, on Coronation Street our Sarah loses her baby, Billy, and that funeral has to be one of the saddest moments in Corrie history. When gay Todd leans over the grave and says "Billy, it's Daddy...", it is sooo sad. (And yes, Caroline, I know it's not real...)

5 comments:

Jake said...

Jesus, is there anything Danielle can't do?

"Steve Smith" said...

Sorry, Heather, permission denied. I'm afraid that that poem might cast a pall (er, so to speak) over the standup comic's performance. I'm sure you understand.

Heather said...

Poor Gay Todd. He just came out, which is big for the Brits. Do you watch Corrie Sammers?
My friends Gary and JT used to live with 'Gay Billy'. That has a nice ring to it Sammers...
And when I say they used to 'live' with Gay Billy, I mean he was their landlord, downstairs. That was the craziest house. It had a cubby hole, and a rickety old staircase up to the apartment.

Anonymous said...

There shall be absolutely no bagpipes within earshot of my funeral, I don't even care if I am entitled to a fancy state funeral. There will be special instructions in my will explicitly stating this. Rather, they shall play some 80s music, I haven't decided which 80s music in particular yet.

--The Dude

Heather said...

Is this the "Bagpipes sound like dying cats" argument? Heard it.
It must be a Scottish or Irish thing...I love the bagpipes. And Kilts. Especially, rugby boys wearing kilts.

As a compromise, The Dude, we could play 80's music on the bagpipes for you! ;p (that reminds me of Ross, from Friends, playing Celebration on the bagpipes, too funny...)