Saturday, June 19, 2004

When you are right you cannot be too radical; when you are wrong, you cannot be too conservative. ~ Martin Luther King Jr. (1929 - 1968)

I am getting more and more excited for 28 June.
Woke up early today and Smith and I went to go catch the bus at 6:55 a.m. Of course, we missed the bus and ended up standing there waiting for the next. A nice and rather polite homeless man approached us and started a conversation with Smith. I went and sat down. After about 3 minutes I gently highlighted to the gentleman than Smith was indeed asleep. Standing up asleep. "Hrm," said the gentleman, "I thought only sheep could do that."

Always an adventure with S. Murray Smith. We met The Dude for breakfast and then we did our D.R.O. training. I love the Elections Hacks. I love working as a D.R.O. too, it's like I am there, on the front lines of democracy. Training was great, awesome little movie they showed us. 'Christine' the D.R.O. tells off the scrutineer in one example, she's a class act that 'Christine'. Working the election is also idiot proof, The Dude and I discovered. If all else fails, just take an oath. It is all about the oath. Apparently you can be totally wasted when you vote. Or dressed like a clown.

Then, on this beautiful Alberta (it is so hard now to not hear Rod bloody Fraser in my head "big blue Alberta sky...") day I sauntered over to the scene of Gary Wallaces' broken ankle, the Garneau Arts Centre across from the Lambda Chi Alpha Frat house, and I cast my ballot. Yay democracy.
It was a good day. Today I feel like a citizen.


5 comments:

Heather said...

Christine is the DRO in the training film. Her Poll Clerk is Richard. You know...It's like any team in training manuals...or language texts, totally funny. In French textbooks it's Veronique and Pierre and in German it was Dagmar and Günter.

The movie was the best part of the training I even clapped when it ended. So did the crazy lady at the front wearing the emerald dress and the huge, black hat so we are both clearly crazy. I think you have to be to work for Elections Canada, some sort of pre-requisite for sure....

Anonymous said...

Christine is my hero. So is Richard. I still have to phone the Elections Canada office to see if I can buy a copy of that video and ask if they've got the DVD. Fuck, if I wasn't being a DRO on Monday, I'd go vote while wasted AND dressed like a clown.

Jake said...

I think I'd HAVE to be wasted to vote.

Heather said...

Yes, but will you be dressed like a clown, Jake?

I think that there will be at least two DRO's drunk and dressed like clowns this election, some shock the voters at Knox Met Church will get!
;p

Thanks for posting comments...I love comments!

Alexandra Taylor said...

1. Yes, being crazy is a prerequisite to work for elections Canada. During the 2 minute interview for my job they didn't even look at my resume, but rather asked me to stand on my head for a few minutes while they think. Not only that, but the longer you stay the crazier you get. I don't recommend anyone coming within 5 feet of me for fear I might do something crazy.

2. I could probably bootleg a copy of the Christine/Richard thing.

Anyway, Heather, Adam - see ya monday. Watch out for my insanity at stupid o'clock in the morning when we have to be there.
A.