Tuesday, June 29, 2004

It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds ~ Samuel Adams

To the man who came and registered to vote at my polling station with a broken thumb (before he went to the doctor) I salute you, Sir.

Not to get veklempt here but there is something to be said about being on the front lines of democracy. The chance to really make sure it is done properly. It really means something to me to be there on the day and to be a part of the whole experience. We had a family come in and they were showing their daughter, about 12 years old, how they vote. The Dad said "see sweetie, this is the most important thing I will do all year...it's very important to vote." I was so impressed by that.

I have to admit I take my role as DRO deadly serious. The Dude commented that normally I am an elections hack, but then I turn into elections hag on election day. I'll admit it, it is true. My friends will also attest to this, I run a tight ship. When I was a cashier at The O.G. I tended to be one hell of a bitch. I like things done by the rules.

So if a scrutineer makes the mistake of storing his papers on the stage behind a polling station, damned right I am going to adhere to my oath to protect the secrecy of the vote. I politely asked him to keep in his seat. He ignored me, so I told my poll supervisor.

The scrutineer manning my station sat in her chair offering commentary on each voter:
The poll clerk asked her if she needed his name and she replied,
"No, I'm sure he's not one of "our" voters", she said
"Why do you assume that?" my super-fantastic poll clerk asked her. "He's 'Gay'", she whispers, "and he has an earring."
Oh my god an earring!

I will leave out the name of the party she was with, if you can't guess already, but I would love to introduce her to a certain person I know who could bitch slap her out of that stereotype. I really don't have much patience for close-minded people who make snap judgments.
Besides her commentary she was a great scrutineer, and she adhered to the rules, even made me swear in a few voters(giving oaths really is the best part!). But Holy Moses Lady, just try to think outside the paradigm a wee bit...

All in all a good day, and we had our share of crazies. I had a visually impaired lady who just shouted "Liberal" in a French accent as I tried to assist her with her ballot. Hilarious.
By the time I closed my poll and got to the bar to meet all the hacks it was packed and the results were in. I am glad I could wind down after the long day with good friends and some good laughs. I needed that, so thanks. I have hope for our new government and I am excited to see what comes of this new minority, who will be Speaker, and what election promises will be kept. Let's hope it lasts the year.

I think it might be noteworthy to say that tonight was my last council meeting in an official capacity. I was proxying for Anand whilst he worked for the NDP in Ottawa, and tonight he returned, much to the delight of many councilors and Executives. I don't know who was happier to see him, but I am relieved of my duties and it was President Blatz who summed it up instantly, "see ya, Heather."
Smith threatened.."You'll be back...."
Well, we'll see about that. But am sad I couldn't be on that Visiting Lectureship on Human Rights Committee. I'll get over it, though.

Well there you have it, ramblings about the significant things in my last few days....oh but lastly I would like congratulate my friend Mel Cote who became an Auntie tonight. Her sister had a little baby boy named Nicholas tonight. He was 8 lbs, 8 oz.
Welcome to the world little guy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Run in the by-election.

Anonymous said...

Well, at least you had fun after the election. I went to work. I said that as soon as I go to work I'd be okay, but no. I was a wreck the entire night. I dozed off in the lunchroom for a few minutes and I don't know how many people saw me. In total, I was awake for 42 hours from Sunday afternoon to Tuesday morning.

--The Dude