Tuesday, September 07, 2004

"Spend all your time waiting for that second chance for a break that would make it okay there's always one reason to feel not good enough..." ~Sarah

Aren't concerts great? I just saw one of my favorite singers and she was amazing. With each song she took me back to moments in my life that I had set aside or forgotten. "Angel" hits home everytime and takes me back to the death of my ex-boyfriend's Mother...The way I felt that day...the emotions...

It is hard to explain, perhaps because all those emotions are summed up in the lyrics. That song always reminds me of her struggle with drugs and addiction and how she just needed to escape just one more time...just to find some release from her tumultuous life.
That is why I love the emotional roller coaster of concerts. When I see U2 in concert I feel that way too.

There is nothing like it.
Also I got to hang out with Paul Welke...and what could beat that?

Each day it seems like a new song marks that particular moment in my life...I think the soundtrack of my life would be pretty wicked.

At one point in the concert Sarah stopped and said that "Angel" and "Answer" were the type of songs that a songwriter loves, they just came to her, she said that she wondered sometimes where they came from and that perhaps it was more than just her at work in those lyrics. She likes the songs that "come fast"...The way she put it was rather funny and the audience caught the double entedre and we had a good laugh. When she started to sing, my laughter turned to tears...what an amazing power.

Answer
I will be the answer at the end of the line
I will be there for you while you take the time
In the burning of uncertainty I will be your solid ground
I will hold the balance if you cant look down

If it takes my whole life I wont break I wont bend
Itll all be worth it worth it in the end
Cause I can only tell you what I know
that I need you in my life
When the stars have all gone out
you'll still be burning so bright

Cast me gently into morning
For the night has been unkind
Take me to a place so holy
That I can wash this from my mind
The memory of choosing not to fight

If it takes a whole life I wont break I wont bend
It'll all be worth it worth it in the end
Cause I can only tell you what I know
That I need you in my life
And when the stars have all burned out
you'll still be burning so bright
Cast me gently into morning for the night has been unkind

Thanks Sarah for letting me release all the tension of a bad day...School starts tomorrow and I am so super excited I can't sleep.
All of a sudden the name of my blog takes on a literal meaning....

2 comments:

"Steve Smith" said...

"Also I got to hang out with Paul Welke...and what could beat that?"

I can think of a number of things offhand, including:

1. Watching George W. Bush fall into a vat of untreated sewage.
2. Not hanging out with Paul Welke.
3. Hanging out with Leonard Cohen.
4. Punching Jung-Suk Ryu in the throat.
5. Webboarding.

(Above list not exhaustive.)

Anonymous said...

That was easily the best concert that I've ever seen, beating out last year's Neil Diamond concert.

I was really glad that she did "Answer", as it is the best song on the new CD. I was a bit disappointed that she didn't do anything at all from her first two albums, but she made up for it by singing the Beatles' "Blackbird".

Also, Steve Smith is a dick.

--PRW