Monday, September 06, 2004

"Laughter is the closest distance between two people" ~Victor Borge

Last night International House Alberta opened and I volunteered to work the reception at the Timms Centre, the toilet bowl lookalike. I met students from around the world and was kind of caught up in the auspicious moment. Nancy gave a brilliant speech filled with touching anecdotes about the experiences from other International Houses around the globe. It made me think about all the people who have come into my life and those who have faded from it. I am pretty lucky to have such a wide range of friends and loved ones.

I spent my whole weekend hanging out with friends, old and new, and I realize now that I have surrounded myself with some pretty amazing individuals.

Sammers and I went to see Garden State on Friday night and I thought it was a very intelligent movie. It is about a young man who is numb and going through life without feeling a thing. Zach Braff (that dude from Scrubs) is a very talented young man, he wrote and directed the movie. I'm going to go and check out the soundtrack as well, it sounds like it would kick ass.

Saturday I went out for dinner with my ladies, Leighanne and Carol. We had some great conversation which was frank, as always, and perhaps not appropriate and we got a few weird glances from the table next to us. C'mon, what is wrong with talking, in depth, about sex in a 'classy' restaurant? I love my ladies and the relationships we have built, so honest and open. After dinner Carol went home and Leighanne and I embarked on an adventure. We hooked up with The Frenchies and went for beers at O'Byrneys. That was fun. Leighanne had never really met the Frenchies before and they made sure to speak English to her so she wasn't feeling left out. Jimmy et Christian are so very kind, what amazing guys. Then we were off to the Westend to check out a new bar called "Escape"....and that is exactly what I wanted to do from the moment we got in...escape. Very aptly named indeed. We should have know when Todd had to "assume the position" to be frisked and was patted down. It was kinda scary. We had to show our I.D. four separate times...*just* to get in the doors to the coat check. The bar is very "L.A.esque". Not that I have ever been to a bar in L.A. but I imagine this is what one might look like. We walked amongst the gang members towards the bar to get a drink. For old times sake Leighanne got a Fuzzy Navel and I got a monkeys Lunch...which the bartender made with Amaretto..ugh.

There was a huge dance floor and I dragged Leighanne out there and we danced with the 15 year old sluts and wondered how they made it past the four ID check points.
It had a very 'chachi' type atmosphere and after being leered at we decided to head down to The Roost where we could dance to better music and hook up with Mel and Cory.

The Roost was good times. Lots of dancing, lots of good friends, and only one big blowout on the dance floor when one girl was hitting on another girls' girlfriend. Yikes, I thought we'd have a bigass fight on our hands, but it was all good. I met a really cool dude who is taking Engineering Physics at the U of A. We danced the night away....and left *early" at 2:30. What a great night!

I am lucky to have such a diverse group of friends. Friends from high school, friends from French Camp, friends from the SU, friends old and new.

Last night after the I-House reception I hung out with The Dude, Allie and Bog and whilst sitting there many familiar faces from classes and council came over to say hi. Everybody is back, fresh from summer holidays and getting ready to party it up this week. Is there anything better than WOW week? I saw Duncan Taylor and he is so excited for this week, his enthusiasm is contagious!! This week should be a blur...lots of fun, little sleep, and drunken debauchery with the best friends I could ask for.

The best part is that Gt is coming up from Cowtown next weekend so we'll be rockin it old school. Woohoo!

Song Du Jour:
New Slang ~ The Shins
Blog Du Jour: Zach Braff

No comments: