Tuesday, September 28, 2004

"Democracy: The substitution of election by the incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few." ~George Bernard Shaw

In Poli Sci 324 we were defining Democracy today. You'd think this would be simple, but it isn't. I love this class...it asks the tough questions and demands you think about the things you take for granted. The more I learn in school the more complicated words like democracy and freedom become. I think we live in *more* of a democracy today than we did 50 years ago...but I still argue that a capitalist democracy isn't really a democracy at all...it is a plutocracy. Discuss.

Yesterday I heard this loud hissing noise outside my apartment window...I stepped over to see what was making the noise and it was a Medigas truck filling up what looked to be like a large portable oxygen tank. This is nothing new at the Commune, but what scared the beejeesus out of me was when I noticed that the fucking idiot filling the tank thought it would be best to kill time by taking his smoke break. At one point he actually leaned on the truck right next to the bright yellow explosion warning sign and took a nice, long drag. He was never more than 8-10 feet away from the tank...by the time I got my camera he'd finished his smoke.

Maybe one day he will win a Darwin Award. (The Darwin Awards honor those who improve our gene pool... by removing themselves from it. Of necessity, this honor is bestowed posthumously.)

Song Du Jour: Sleeping In ~ Postal Service

3 comments:

"Steve Smith" said...

Effective campaign finance rules are the difference between a plutocracy and a democracy. We're somewhere in between, at present.

Dunkler said...

Actually, the Darwin Award doesn't have o be awarded posthumously. If someone renders themselves unable to procreate, then they are still eligable.

Anonymous said...

I think we live in a society dominated by the middle class, not the wealthy. The wealthy are just pretty well off as well.

- Mustafa