Thursday, September 30, 2004

"I heard the word party - obviously got the wrong idea." ~Bono, Labour Party conference speech

New U2 single is out!! I just heard it...but I haven't heard it on the radio yet. I don't really listen to the radio these days...too preoccupied with my Garden State Soundtrack. And my 80's mix.

U2 has apparently decided to call their new album (Set for release on November 22nd) "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb". With songs like "Love and Peace or Else" this one sounds fierce. Some U2 fans think the new song sounds a little like The Hives. I can't wait to hear the rest of the new album. The song 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own' Bono sang at his Father's funeral. I have wanted to hear it for over 2 years.

Today Bono was also addressing the UK Labour Party:

"he described Tony Blair and Gordon Brown as the John Lennon and Paul McCartney of the global development stage.

'I'm fond of Tony Blair and Gordon Brown. They are kind of the John and Paul of the global development stage, in my opinion. But the point is, Lennon and McCartney changed my interior world, Blair and Brown can change the real world.'"

He went on to say "This is not about charity, this is about justice."

You can read the rest of that speech at U2.com if you like, I think it is brilliant (Bien Sûr). He talks about some of the hard truths behind the crisis in Africa...

"justice is a tougher standard. Africa makes a fool of our idea of justice; it makes a farce of our idea of equality. It mocks our pieties, it doubts our concern, it questions our commitment.

Because there's no way we can look at Africa- a continent bursting into flames -and if we're honest conclude that it would ever be allowed to happen anywhere else.
Anywhere else.
Certainly not here.
In Europe.
Or America.
Or Australia, or Canada.

There's just no chance.

You see, deep down, if we really accepted that Africans were equal to us, we would all do more to put the fire out. We've got watering cans; when what we really need are the fire brigades."

Sometimes I feel like nothing will ever be done about Africa because we are living in a world that is made up of too many self-interested parties. Is it naive to think that one day the West won't be so focused on power politics? Sometimes I berate myself for being too idealistic, but I also have learned that without dreaming big you stand still. The pendulum is swinging, I see it, the debt is dropping, the aid is coming, but man is it slow! And what about the people who are losing hope? What of them?

The other day, sort of off the cuff, I spoke of Missile Defence (space-based weapons technology) with a gentleman, who shall remain nameless, and I said, "think of what could be done if all that money was spent in Africa, helping the poorest of the poor, and not on putting weapons in space."

He replied, "too unrealistic. There are too many of them to help."
I laughed incredulously. Apparently saving Africans is unrealistic but putting weapons in space somehow makes sense. What scares me the most is that powerful people might actually believe that.
All I can do is believe that one day that won't be the case and I hope I can have a hand in changing things. I don't really know how, but I know I can do my best.

Song Du Jour: Vertigo ~ U2

"...your eyes are widened though your soul, it can't be bought, your mind can wander...you give me something I can feel..."

(Edit: For Heather I have to mention that McCartney=myocardium)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather, in 1914, building aircraft for the purposes of combat didn't make sense either. Weapons in space is the next big step in the evolution of warfare.

Sending money to Africa for AIDS relief and providing cheap AIDS drugs is pointless. From an immunological perspective, that money is FAR better spent providing African communities with proper sanitation and plumbing. This will prevent most parasitic infections, and then just watch the infant mortality rate drop like a rock. It would save many more lives...people who have HIV/AIDS are already dead. I very strongly doubt it will ever be cured.

--The Dude

Heather said...

El Duderino,
Sometimes I wonder how it is that you and I ever got be such good friends...We see the world from such different viewpoints.

This so-called U.S. missile "defence" system has little or nothing to do with defence -- it's really about establishing a U.S. first-strike-from-space nuclear capability.
I simply can't support it. Evolution of warfare...have we not learned anything since 1914? Give me a break. We spent enough money arming ourselves to the teeth during the cold war. Where did that get us? I consider this a huge waste of money. It could be invested in people who need it. I think helping the people up off their knees in Africa is the best offence to stem violence...not putting laser beams in space...it's just so Austin Powers....

On the topics of the HIV/AIDS pandemic. There are drugs that help mothers with HIV to prevent the spread of HIV to their unborn child. HIV drugs are effective, but not available to Africa because Pharmaceutical companies will not lower their prices, or allow generic drugs to be distributed. There is hope, but it is out of reach for the poorest of the poor at this moment. We *can* change that. The Clinton Foundation is shipping these drug to Africa and it is making a difference on a small scale. The government of Botswana also distributes these drugs to expectant mothers and to those affected by HIV, for free. Botswana is much more stable...has functioning social programs to deal with it there.

There are a lot of factors in the fight against HIV/AIDS in Africa, but throwing your hands up in the air and saying they are all dead is just not an option in my mind. What would have happened if we did that with Small Pox?

But I would like to know why you think it will never be cured, you obviously know more about this than I do...so please The Dude, let me know why there is no hope in your mind.

Heather said...

The Dude wrote: money is FAR better spent providing African communities with proper sanitation and plumbing.

I agree, good point. Getting proper sanitation and plumbing is critical, malaria is a huge factor in Africa...
On that note please visit:
African Well FundThis is a charity that was started by U2 fans...the secretary is a good friend of mine here in Edmonton.

FYI:
Over 80% of the disease in developing countries is related to poor drinking water and sanitation. Some 34,000 people die in one day due to water related diseases; this is equivalent to 100 jumbo jets crashing daily! Some common illnesses are: diarrhea, trachoma, parasitic worms, and malaria. from www.arts.mcgill.ca