Monday, May 16, 2005

"Many is a word that only leaves you guessin' "

My Drama class is ripe with...well...drama.

I have been entertaining my roommate each night with stories from my day and he suggests I write a story about it. Today it got so whacked I feel I have to share this one. I am currently registered in a dramatics class with about 15 people. One of them is a sweet girl from Japan who is just learning English. Another classmate happens to be blind. There are mostly women in the class...and even two ladies named Penny. There are only four men in the class. My Prof is hilarious too. He critiques arbitrary things and makes a big, big deal out of them. Like if you crawled through the imaginary door improperly or if you are not pretending realistically....(I try to not roll my eyes..)

I have started to refer to this class as 'Daycare' because that is how it feels to me. I go to 'daycare' every morning and we sit in a big circle and talk about silly things, then we play silly games....then its nap time...then snack time...okay those last two are just exaggerations but sometimes it seems like I am 6 years old again.

I enjoy it though....It is a fun class and it is very interesting and not at all like other University classes. YAY!

There are many interruptions in our class...what with the prof stopping to explain what certain words mean to the Japanese ESL student, or he'll stop to explain something visual to the blind guy. This can take up a lot of time but can also be rather amusing...for example, I had to play the Mirror game with the Blind guy. You know the game where you move your arms and your partner attempts to mirror your actions....That was a very interesting lesson in communication for me, and fall down funny if you really think about it.

This morning after we started like we always do (crosslegged, sitting on the floor in our wee circle of sharing) the prof asked us what we had for breakfast. One guy answered "SEX!" This caught us all by surprise because this guy is usually very calm and quiet and he was just acting all sorts of weird. (He's a Mormon too, so the whole sex comment was a little odd, we all thought) He was very loud and boisterous in the circle and talking non-sensically and by 9:15 a.m. he had seriously shocked us with some of the things he chose to share with us.

When we got up to get ready for warm-up he started yelling (loud) and kicking (hard)the walls. The prof tried to calm him down but to no avail. He came across the room and started wailing on the blind guy. He had punched Blind Guy twice by the time we pulled him off. Campus 5-0 had to be called and we were all pretty shaken up.

I didn't realize that taking a drama class would have all this...well...drama in it.

Now we have to change classes and the whole class is freaking out wondering if he'll come back to class...armed with his gun. I think he'll have his hands full and never come back but some in my class are very fearful. Maybe he's just unbalanced...or maybe he was high on something, I don't know, but I don't think a student is allowed to come back to class after losing it and assaulting another student. I'll have to check University policy to see if it is outlined in there somewhere. Or I'll just ask Mustafa.


Song Du Jour: Over the Hills and Far Away ~ Led Zeppelin

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shit...my gun's missing...maybe that drama nutcase broke in and took it...

Some people are fucked, and this is a perfect example.

--The Dude

Heather said...

Is she a pretty blonde lady? Does her name begin with a T and end with ara?

Small world dude!

Heather said...

Yes, Drama...yay fine arts requirments.

Blind Guy is fine. Actually he handled it well. He's a pretty amazing dude.

Now we are waiting to hear if the guy is coming back to class.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Mormon Man is a bit of a fukwit. The truth is that anyone deep in a cult is unpredictable, especially one like the LDS which practices a particularly effective brand of mind control. I would have liked someone to toss out some beats for the blind guy, even the score a bit.
duke

Heather said...

You weren't there to see the tackle and quick thinking of our hero Michael.

He stepped up and ultimately came to the rescue of BG.
He pinned him...but you know how it is...something happens and you waste a few seconds shocked, unable to really grasp what is happening. By then it was over and quick thinking hero had acted. Why the prof did not get a handle on the situation is unfortunate, and he feels bad about that.

We move back to our romm on Tuesday and one girl in my class is very afraid. Check this...Today we were told we have to write a haiku about something we hold sacred ("my sacred" is Freedom)and we will share the haiku's when we "reclaim" the space first thing next week.
Fucking Drama!

Vivec said...

Man, drama class is supposed to be so easy. Like Kindergarten. But I have nothing but scarring memories of that horrible time! Every time I think about that dimly lit black plywood stage I get shivers.

It was like a tortured combination of yoga class and primal scream therapy.