Monday, August 09, 2004

"Socrates of the Republic rejects the flute; for the flute is exciting and emotional..." ~ Aristotle

I finally saw "flute guy" today. You know, that busker with the crazy grey hair? He plays one mean flute. Sometimes he has accompaniment and sometimes he's solo. He wasn't at the last Esks game (where he always is..at every game...and because of that he is even part of our drinking game) and of course this caused us great concern.
I hadn't seen him at the U of A in a while or at Churchill.

So believe it or not I was starting to think he'd fallen ill or something. Not like I was losing sleep wondering "Holy Moses, Where is flute man? Where is flute man...?!"
I just noticed his absence. Then on my way to work today I heard the melodious song from his flute emanating from the bowels of Edmonton Centre once again.

AND thank God because the "Patsy 'I'm brazenly tone deaf' Cline" busker was practicing yet another Allison Krauss song to mutilate. *shudder*
Whenever I hear her I always wonder if you could pay a busker stop singing...

"I really should have studied flute,
Harmonica, or chimes.
A clarinet is nice and light;
A fiddle would be fine.
But I had to take piano,
And my teacher is a brute.
He lives up seven flights of stairs.
(I wish I played the flute.)"
--Shel Silverstein, in Falling Up

No comments: