Wednesday, August 25, 2004

"...In a business that attracts pompous blowhards, senators are the crème de la crème" ~ Mark Steyn

Well, I just spent the last few days with my new Nephew and his amazing Mom. Some women are just meant to be Mothers and Lina is one of them. It is incredible to watch them together.

let's see...so much to comment on....hmmm...where to start....

John Kerry was on The Daily show last night and did pretty well I think. He's a bit stiff (see above link to the funny article by Steyn for more on that), and I wish he would have stopped talking about Bush and told us about his plan. (I'd blame Stewart for not asking him about his policies and only asking about Bush.) But Kerry eluded to a plan, which means he actually has one, so that bodes well. He needs a monocle and a top hat to go with that laugh of his... perhaps his handlers should think of going in that direction and play up the pompous nature he exudes...keep him in tails and a top hat. And then Stewart actually asked him about Ketchup...Jackass.

In other news, and by that I mean news which actually has an impact on my life, you can take Swahili at the U of A now! Cool.
SWAH 111
Beginners' Swahili I
*3 (fi 6) (fall term,5-0-0)
Introduction to Swahili language and culture. Not to be taken by students with native or near native proficiency, or SWAH 35 or its equivalents in Canada and other countries.

I think I would like to take that class. I still need 30 option credits for my degree. Yes, 30!! Any suggestions?? I would be grateful, as I really have so completely focused on my core requirements I feel like a deer caught in headlights with these "options". What to take...?
and can I fit them into Spring/summer next year? Cripes, I'll need to take 9 credits next summer.

Apparently council took 2 hours to debate two $10,000 money motions last night. Good to see there is a lot of debate, but I hope it wasn't to terribly boring. The first 10G is for a survey and the second 10G is to get machines to accommodate the expansion of the Aramark meal card to SUB. I wonder if *any student* (grad or undergrad) can buy Aramark meal cards? I should look into that...or post it here on my blog for some smarty pants to answer. (My guess is Smarty Pants = The Dude.)

The construction above my head at work is getting weird now. The whole place vibrates. (insert vibrator joke here) It is rather disconcerting to be at work and the computer monitor is vibrating..the phone, the chair....the plants vibrate off the desks. The keys on my keyboard tickle my fingers as they dance over them...it makes my hands feel like they are asleep...pins and needles.

It kind of feels like when you are little and you, while your mom pushes, ride in the top of the shopping cart across the pavement to the car...
Freaky.

Song Du Jour: Tangerine ~ Led Zeppelin (Hi JK!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes you can get your own meal card. Taken from some web page on the U of A site:

The Varsity Value Card is available to students, staff, and guests at the Univeristy of Alberta. It's not only a convenient way to dine on campus, you can earn 7% bonus dollars by purchasing a membership.

The card works just like a debit card (with no PIN number to remember). You can add money to your card as needed and use it at such campus locations as Tim Hortons, Mr.Sub, Pita Pit, Burger King, Pizza Pizza, The Carvery, Vegetarian Station and more.

Bonus dollars are earned on the Silver, Gold and Platinum Memberships giving you more spending power. Memberships must be purchased through ARAMARK's Meal Card office upstairs in Lister Centre.

For convenience, the Express Varsity Value Card is available. It can be purchased in denominations of $25 and $50 directly from the cashier.

For a complete list of locations where you can use your Varsity Value Card or purchase Express Cards, please click here. [it lists all Aramark locations on campus]

For further information or to purchase a membership, please contact the ARAMARK Meal Card office located in Lister Centre or call 492.4874.

--The Dude

"Steve Smith" said...

It's funny, because you said that Kerry "eluded" to a platform when you meant "alluded", and "eluded" means "to be elusive". See? Funny!

Laugh, dammit.

Anonymous said...

I miss you H*. Thinking of Tangerine makes me happy and sad at the same time. We've got a whole summer of catching up to do.

JK

Alexandra Taylor said...

I don't blame Stewart for asking questions about Bush. If Kerry were any kind of skilled politician he would have managed to mould his answers into something about his platform, if that was his intent. Either way, he failed miserably in that regard.

Jake said...

There's a "Vegetarian Station" on campus? Where? Why was I not informed?

Bah, whatever. They probably put bits of butter in everything they make anyway, for no other reason than to piss me off.

Anonymous said...

1. I laughed when I read that as well, Steve.

2. Alluding to a plan isn't the same as alluding to an imaginary plan. Allusion is not enough—I need to see a plan. Unfortunately, what bits of a "plan" I've seen from Kerry inspire little confidence.

I'm still trying to decide what would be a worse disaster: Bush getting re-elected or Kerry beating Bush.

- Mustafa