Tuesday, August 03, 2004

"I started with nightmares. Rumors and conjectures, that's a giant leap forward." Denzel Washington as Captain Marco

I went and saw the new version of The Manchurian Candidate. Kyle liked it. I think that seeing the original was a good thing but the new version pales in comparison. It is an *okay* movie, but I can't say that I would recommend it. It drags in the middle and a word of caution: don't go and see it at the Garneau...the sound is shite there and I missed some dialogue and that was a real pisser. Maybe it would have been better if the sound had been better? hmmm...perhaps.

In my opinion the original version is more witty and has a better ending. The nuances of the original version add something to the movie that is lost in the newer version. I can't quite put my finger on it...Although the newer version does get marks from me for creepiness because Meryl Streep really nails the deceptive, and clearly disturbed, Mother. Yikes that woman is Psycho! She's the one thing that is worth seeing.

I leave it up to you to decide which you like better.

No comments: