Wednesday, August 04, 2004

"For the love you bring won't mean a thing unless you sing, sing, sing...." Travis

It doesn't feel like Wednesday. In fact I keep thinking today is Thursday. Long weekends always do this to me. I am thinking a lot about music today. I haven't been able to really get into any good *new* music lately. Nobody seems to know of any either, which is weird.

The radio, which in my mind is a very bad medium to actually hear *good*, new music, is playing the new pop. Some bad and some not so bad...There is that grossly overplayed Jojo song "Leave(Get out)." She's like 14. It struck me recently that there seem to be a lot of young women in the pop chart this week with Ashlee Simpson and Avril Lavigne in the top ten. Evanescence, and their song Broken with Seether is also played like 6 times an hour on the radio. But it is growing on me, I like the sound of her voice. But these songs are what they are; Pop songs.
I want something...more. More, I don't know, substantial...

I would not buy any of those albums. I really want some good, new music. I wonder is the new Wilco is any good? Anybody got it?

I want a new Remy Zero or Guster to pique my interest if you know what I mean. (check "Guslog" the funny band blog, it might interest those of you obessed with blogs). I am waiting for the new U2, hoping the rumours are true and it is a kick ass rock album, but that isn't supposed to come out until November. I'm really bored with music these days...so I am looking for some suggestions. What new songs will always remind you of Summer '04?

Song Du Jour: "Sing" by Travis
Blog Du Jour: Rivers From Weezer

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... *new* music.
Modest Mouse's new album is pretty swank. "Float On" is a great song, but grossly overplayed, to my knowledge.

Have you heard of The Killers? Their album "Hot Fuss" is pretty good. Very.... new-wavy.

Um...The Royal Tenenbaums soundtrack is not new, but it's great. Also not new is Sam Roberts' "We Were Born In A Flame." Everyone should have that album.

-Krista

Jake said...

Are they still making new music? Huh.