Monday, November 29, 2004

"Canada is like an old cow. The West feeds it. Ontario and Quebec milk it. And you can well imagine what it's doing in the Maritimes." ~ T. Douglas

Former Saskatchewan premier Tommy Douglas, said that on June 29, 1983. Tonight Canadians picked him as The Greatest Canadian.
And The Dude's head just exploded.

This whole greatest Canadian contest really opened my eyes about some pretty amazing Canadians. I never knew what impact Frederick Banting's life had...And Terry Fox still inspires me to this day. Trudeau came in third which surprised me. I voted for Lester B. Pearson.

All in all I think this contest taught us all a little more about Canadian history (always a good thing) and gave us a glimpse into the lives of some of the incredible people who have shaped our country.

Song Du Jour: World on Fire ~ Sarah McLachlan

The world's on fire, it's more than I can handle
I'll tap into the water, try and bring my share
Try to bring more, more than I can handle
Bring it to the table
Bring what I am able....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's because Gretzky never played for the Leafs back in the day. It's because he knocked them out of the playoffs in 1993. Think about it! This is a conspiracy perpetrated by Leafs fans!

Of course a younger generation is going to find that a politician who was hugely unpopular in his time as the Greatest Canadian; further proof that the public school system is breeding Bolsheviks!

--The Dude

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Heather said...

I really need to learn how to spell...
Let's try that again...

Which women would you have nominated Hammers?

Maude Barlow? Sarah Mclachlan? Kim Campbell? Which Canadian women do you think should have been included in the top 10?

Anonymous said...

Great Canadian women and no one mentions the Strath waitresses?

I voted for Emily Carr because she was the original west coast granola, and she created a unique artistic vision of this country. She was also down with Indian men and ladies, so you could say she ahead of her time, sexuality acceptance wise. Those must have been some wicked fun potlaches.

Can we post our favorite songs of the week too? Mine is "Booze me up and get me high" by Ween. It really strikes a nerve. I was listenning to it yesterday while the Black Helicopters were circling my apartment. Earlier in the day I was on the Hill, but there wasn't much going on except Mark Emery passing around a 25 g bomber. The best protest group was "Butt Pirates against Bush", but sadly I didn't have my camera with me.

Dukelicious

Heather said...

Can that Ween song be our song for the month of December? 17 days to the Cowtown wedding and Kirny and I are counting down the days. Save yourself up for the big night Duker.

Jake said...

I voted for My Cousin Danielle.

Also, my favourite song at the moment is "You Shook Me All Night Long" by Hayseed Dixie.