Friday, November 26, 2004

"Although the word 'God' is used, the University has not attached any religious significance to the term" ~ Carl Amrhein

Normally I don't find the GFC agenda remarkably funny, but I almost snorted ginger ale out my nose laughing at a response to a query Alex Abboud made about the convocation ceremonies. And yes this is all Paul Welke's fault, I am sure.
[Edit: I have been informed there is a webboard thread about this]

Question from Alex Abboud, Vice-President(External):
"A Graduating student recently raised a concern with me regarding the Admission performed by the Chancellor at the end of the convocation ceremony, which finishes with the line "I charge you to use them for the glory of God and the honour of your country." This student feels that as an atheist, the inclusion of this offends his personal beliefs. As the University is a public, not a religious institution, what is the rationale for the inclusion of this line as part of the ceremony?"
The response from The Provost:
"The University of Alberta adopted the wording for "The Admission" as the standard from McGill University in 1908.(McGill Got it from Oxford University)...Although the word 'God' is used the university has not attached any religious significance to the term and it can therefore be defined however the student sees fit given their personal circumstances. It is not intended to have any specific religious connotation."

That made me giggle...I guess when I hear the word God I think of, you know, the man upstairs, the head of the Catholic faith. So why don't we say Allah? Or Buddha? Or Zeus?
From Encarta:
"God
1. Supernatural being: one of a group of supernatural male beings in some religions, each of which is worshiped as the personification or controller of some aspect of the universe
Thor, the Norse god of thunder

2. Figure or image: a representation of a god, used as an object of worship
the little bronze god standing in a niche above the altar

3. Something that dominates somebody’s life: something that is so important that it takes over somebody’s life (informal)
worshiping the false god of fame

4. Somebody admired and imitated: a man who is widely admired or imitated(informal)
he was one of the rock music gods of the early Seventies'."

I think there might be a way to fix this. At the Presidents Standing Committee on Convocation meeting (this item is now on their agenda for further discussion) perhaps it could be suggested that we alternate the word god with other 'gods'...
When I graduate in April 2006 I hope that the Chancellor uses the name of a certain rock God...I can hear it now, "I charge you to use them for the glory of Bono and the honour of your country."

Or better yet, in Greek mythology, the god of the heavens, husband of Gaea and the father of the Titans who personified the earth, was Uranus. That would certainly make for an interesting convocation ceremony.
Too funny.

Song Du Jour: Willow Weep For Me ~ Billie Holiday

2 comments:

Nicholas said...

The reason why an alternation with "gods" doesn't work is that while it includes all religions, it still excludes the non-religious. Call it the Boy Scouts model, if you will.

I personally think they should replace "God" with "the Force," but that's just me.

Heather said...

I wonder what students would like to see God replaced with? Should it be excluded completely? I was speaking with Lisa today and she was looking for suggestions.
And although I agree with Nick and I think "The Force" is a fine replacement, chances are the people on that committee might not agree.
What is better phrasing? Suggestions?