Wednesday, November 24, 2004

“It is what we make of what we have, not what we are given, that separates one person from another.”~Nelson Mandela

Thanks for the comments on rights...The Duke brings up some good arguments in the comments of my last post. I think He and The Dude agree, and I realize my approach is more idealistic. Negative and positive rights, or The Freedom "from" something, and the right "to" something. How much should the state intervene? How much political will is there to back up these "rights" up? I took Human Rights (Political Science 396) with Dr. Jiang and by the end I was more confused than when I had started. It seems that everybody has a different idea of what a right is. (Feminists and Chomsky argue our set of so called Universal Rights are set down by rich, white men and have failed to produce a fuctioning set of rights that are truly universal) I realized that I viewed human rights from a standpoint that is rather patriarchal and biased. After that class I reassessed what I thought about rights given my limited understanding of them. Education should be a right because it allows for men and women to grow and become self-reliant and students become a commodity in our economy. I think that education should not be commodified because it produces a better society and a better global community.
I like the way the Irish educational system was set up in 1966 and wonder why governments got away from implementing free-post-secondary education? After WWII didn't most governments in Europe have systems set up like that? I should check that out...

Speaking of good Irish things...did anybody catch U2 on Saturday Night live?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't U2 the only good thing to ever come out of Ireland??

--The Dude

Heather said...

Easy there Dude...no need for fighting words.
Think Guinness Stout or Kilkenny Irish Cream Ale. Think Yeats, Heaney, Joyce, Beckett, Wilde.
My favorite Author came from Ireland. Shamrocks are from Ireland and not to mention my favorite holiday in March...
Oh and there are about 3.7 million Canadians of Irish origin in Canada...

Heather said...

Oh Indian, now the secret is out.
The Dude...head of the local Orangemen. yes, The Dude and his gun, of course.
He keeps trying to convince me he goes to a United Church, but I knew he could only be a reactionary Protestant.
If Gregory were here I am sure he would belt out few lines from Rule Britannia.

Anonymous said...

Cheers to the D'indian for keeping it in perspective. "Better make that three pitchers Mary, it's last call and I got a long drive ahead of me."

Looking forward to December to talk trash.

Fuck, what a spanking Indiana put on Detroit.

Anonymous said...

Heather, I've never heard of any of those people you listed. Guiness and Kilkenny aren't made by Molson's or Labatt's so I don't drink them. I don't really do anything on St. Patty's day...but if I happen to get drunk on that day, then so be it. But you're wrong on one thing...my gun and I aren't part of the local Orange Order. ;)

But anyway, you should hear Colin, I think he's worse than I am on the subject...

--The Dude