Thursday, December 02, 2004

"Taking Ritalin to study is very dangerous. If you let your focus drift, you'll spend the night scrubbing your telephone." ~Danielle Carlson

So apparently one of those Desperate Housewives (*not* the one who got naked with Terrell Owens and caused a big flack in Jesus Land) takes her kids' A.D.D. medication to help her get through her busy day.

I haven't actually watched the show but it made me wonder how many other people saw that and ran to the medicine cabinet and downed a couple tabs of lil' Timmy's medicine to see what would happen.

Is this what it has come to? My ladies are at-home Mommies and they have their bad days but I wonder what it must be like to be at home with the kids all day with no outside contact with a million things to do. One of my friends told me that her husband, and his friends, make jokes that their wives are "retired" now that they stay at home with the kids. Like they sit at home watching their 'stories' and eating Bon-bons or some shite. Puh-lease..it is hard work raising kids. (I know there is some feminist rant in there about unpaid labour and how domestic chores seem to fall to one gender and such, but I can't be bothered to go all femi-nazi just now)

Some days I see my friends with their kids and I wish I could be a Mom and do all that Mom stuff...usually I just want to be a part of the more interesting Mom stuff, not the really hard Mom stuff.
I get the impression that they would also like a day like mine where I have some time for myself and get to learn amazing new things and socialize with great people...

Why *is* the grass always greener on the other side? Stupid grass....

Song Du Jour: Camp Fire Girl #62 ~ Guttermouth

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to see the Guttermouth making the song du jour. You should download some more of their stuff, and then we'll see who's corrupting who. ;)

--The Dude

Heather said...

That's a good rant lady...
It is interesting to me that I am now showing pictures (of the new babies) to men and they have the same reaction...babies are ugly. They like kids when they get older but it seems that my wee survey has shown that men really are not that interested in the wee babins. This survey was wholly unscientific, but it made me think about how women love babies when they are little and wee and need all a mothers' attention. It is like we are hard wired for that and that is a good thing but I never really thought of the roles of Mothers and Fathers and perhaps the way our brains work (like you alluded to their cherie with the fact that we are natural multi-taskers). Rather interesting....