Wednesday, December 15, 2004

"I'm not a speaker of dudish, so I could be wrong " ~ Mark Liberman

Dude...
It is a word like Smurf....Who remembers smurfs? When everything was smurfy...or you need to smurf that smurfy smurf. Dude really is a catch all phrase...
I admit I use the word Dude way too much. I just change the inflection, the pitch or tone, in my voice and it means something completely different. That is just plain handy. I also do this with the word Lady.

Lady!!!!
Laaady.
Laaaa-deee.

The other day Mr. Speaker asked me why I call my friend Lado. Yup Lado. (She's the only one I call Lado though, the other Rotten's hate it and have banned the use of it.) It just sounds better and rolls of the tongue if you say it fast. It evolved from Lady at some point and I guess the truth of it is that my friends and I seem to have developed a language all our own. I've been in public places having a conversation and some person with us wonders what the hell we are talking about. We all understand this lingo but to anybody outside our group, without the same pop culture references and such, it is just gibberish.

Without context it means little to the vast majority if I say,
"Hey Dudes remember when we went pirate with the Indian at The Moontower" but to me, and my group of friends, this makes perfect sense...

We have our "Hey you's" Which is a reference to an old, *old* SNL skit about a perfume called "Hey You" that a chick wears in the bar to pick up guys. The next scene is her, with a love bun (that knot of messed up hair in the back of your head after a night of rumpeh-pumpeh), with last nights' clothes on and her make-up down to her ankles...she's hailing a cab. So Hey You's became the name for the place we would all meet, at one of our houses, the day after we went to the bar. We'd all drag our sorry, hungover asses, with our love buns, back to Ronnies and gossip about the night before and where and with whom we ended up.
Usually this Hey You/meeting of the hung involved "Getting Grease" which shouldn't be confused with getting greased...
No 'getting grease', or the 'ole Potty Picnic' (cause it goes right through you, so you might as well eat it on the toilet), refers to getting McDonald's before going to The Hey You. The magic elixer and cure of many hangovers...greasy McDick's food.

We also call cake "Cock" (and Coke is often referred to as "Cock"....just for fun)which has to do with Martin Short's brilliant portrayal of an "English as a second language" Wedding planner in "Father of The Bride" ("Faja of the Bride" or "Pather pa da pride" if you're my Lado...)

Imagine standing in Blockbuster with me and my ladies and I turn to you and say, "want to rent a pussy movie? Oh and should we get girl-drink-drunk or Cock tonight?"

You can see how this can get confusing...Sometimes I forget myself and speak this way with new friends and they look at me like I have lost my mind...
So I start again and translate "Sorry Lady (or Dude)I mean... do you want to get a sappy-girly movie? Shall we drink Pina Colada's or Coke tonight?"

These obscure references to things from the past are now part of our collective language. Try explaining purse bitch...(Without a picture of Bogg)
No doubt other groups of individuals do this but I wonder if they have as much fun with it as we do? I doubt it Dude.

Okay enough procrastinating...

Song Du Jour: Burn One Down ~ Ben Harper

2 comments:

Heather said...

A yes the bloody hoocher. I just packed mine for the trip to GT's wedding. It's also like how I say Safeway's, plural, because that is the way Sticky used to say it. Or how she would call them her "Periods"

If you say Safeway's in a conversation most people think you are an ignorant hick.

Oh and because I have been asked to elaborate, 'Purse bitch" is the person who is left in charge of the purse. Stina, back in the day, would always end up being Purse Bitch. We'd all drop our lipstick and whatnot into her purse and then we'd all just share one and she would be the designated Purse Bitch. Bogg has now taken over this role and does a fine job I might add.

There are so many of these...
Lisa and Auntie 'Maris'
"The Pussy Cup"
"The Rocker"
Remember "the snow pig"? And when Lina wanted to take the doors off it in the summer?

How about "pack yer bags, Alice?"
That always makes me laugh...

Ummm..how about Geddy and apples...let's not even get started on that.

Heather said...

Yes, Happy Birsday...That is another one..

Oh, The rocker is something Shawna came up with a long time ago. It's supposed to go under your knees to aid in oral sex. We thought we would market it and make millions, tee hee...Every girl needs one....Then it turned into a joke, "Man I sure could have used the rocker last night"...and became hilarious. Panty soup...do you remember that? Which turned into Panty Stew...but only because of that guy Little Stu..Those are our Rugby days, and yes you were probably having babbins or raining them at the time Cheddy-pie. Ask the Lado when she comes out there to see you, she'll get a chuckle.

The Snow Pig? That was Lina's old Silver Honda.
Lots of good times in the old snow pig...When she wanted to take the dorrs off in the sumer I just laughed and laughed...

And Bogg why are you talking about Cock? Or do you mean Cake? or do you mean you need a coke?
Where is your Birsday party on the 21st Bogg? I lost your email outlining the festivities. Is it the "Leaders of Tomorrow: Drunk Today"
party? or did I already miss that?
Give me a shout on my cell so I can drink with you. I think Clarissa in going to be there too. Woo hoo!