Wednesday, March 12, 2008

"You're the last guy to feel the optimism of improvement.." ~ Coach MacTavish

I'm taking a lot of heat for being an Oilers fan and being excited when they win lately...this is new to me. Because the Coilers need a miracle to make the playoffs it seems fans have written the team off. Even the hardcore Oilers fans seem more cynical and jaded and some are not even watching them anymore.

Can't I be excited about a win regardless of the post season?

"Who cares...they won't make the playoffs" was the pat answer when I brought up that "left arm tingling" show the Oil put on last night. Around the water cooler they looked at me with pity in their eyes, as if to say, poor, poor Heather the misguided Oilers fan. Personally, I feel that some fans are missing out on some great hockey or they are so critical of the players they miss the game.

Let me be clear, I am well aware of their (lack of) playoff chances. I am not hopeful they will get that miracle and make the playoffs. I am fine with watching this team rebuild. In fact, I am thoroughly enjoying it.
I am super excited about Cog's record setting OT goals even if it doesn't propell them out of 11th place. How about that no look pass from Gag-ner to Cog's setting up the OT goal? Beautiful.
How about Grebeshkov (Gruba) with the block in front of Garon to shut down Kariya in the third? And Goggles Pisano and his shorthanded break away, Smid had one too, and Hemsky...I'm still surprised Legace came out unscathed after "Maim the Goalie" night at Rexall.

Glengarry Glencross has my vote, he adds a lot to his line....Matt Greene makes me nervous. Still.

Are we so spoiled that we can't be proud of a team that is on fire with rookie potential? Frick they are so fun to watch! Why am I the only one who'll admit that Oilers games are super entertaining? Sure they shit the bed (even last night they did) but that's not new, hence the "Coilers" moniker...but that game was highly entertaining.

Go on -- admit it, don't be afraid.
Song Du Jour - Nine in The Afternoon by Panic at the Disco

No comments: