Friday, March 14, 2008

"One thing I will say: Human suffering should preempt commercial interest." ~ President Bush

Time has published a frank article by Bob Geldof regarding his recent sit down and walk about Africa with George W. Bush. (photo by Jason Reed / Reuters)

"...he (Bush) doesn't ever have to justify his Africa policy. This is the person who has quadrupled aid to the poorest people on the planet. I was more comfortable with that. But his expression asked for agreement and sympathy, and I couldn't provide either. "Mr. President, please. There are things you've done I could never possibly agree with and there are things I've done in my life that you would disapprove of, too. And that would make your hospitality awkward. The cost has been too much. History will play itself out." "I think history will prove me right," he shoots back. "Who knows," I say.

It wasn't awkward. It wasn't uncomfortable. He is convinced, like Tony Blair, that he made the right decision. "I'm comfortable with that decision," he says. But he can't be. The laws of unintended consequences would determine that. At one point I suggest that he will never be given credit for good policies, like those here in Africa, because many people view him "as a walking crime against humanity." He looks very hurt by that. And I'm sorry I said it, because he's a very likable fellow. "
I always find it interesting when two people with seemingly nothing in common sit down to talk. It shows me that common ground can be found in very unlikely places. We are more alike than we are different. I'm curious to know what other people think of that article, I hope you will comment on your reaction to it.
Song du Jour: She's Crafty by The Beastie Boys
Clearly, there can never be too much cow bell in a song...


No comments: