Friday, February 29, 2008

"I need something more, to keep on breathing for, so give me something to believe...."

So it's leap day!! Happy Leap day to all.
Anything you do today doesn't count right?

Today is also marks an important anniversary! Well, important to me...
February 29, 1992: U2 kicked off their high-tech, multimedia Zoo TV tour in Lakeland, Florida. This was my first real opportunity to go and see my favorite band in concert. When tickets went on sale we snapped up two and my friend Natalie and I took the Greyhound all the way to Vancouver (not recommended). It was my first road trip to The Vancity. Coincidentally, we stayed in a hotel on Heather Street and Broadway so of course we tried to steal the Heather Street sign, to no avail.

This was the tour that supported the Actung Baby album. We sat up in the rafters of BC Place to watch the spectacle with our oxygen tanks. You may not know this but this tour actually made no money because of the sheer size of it. It was my first dose of live U2...and even if you don't like the band that much, cripes even if they turn your stomach, their live show is something to behold. The energy of the band...not just Bono's charisma, but Larry Mullen hitting those drums like his freaking life depends on it! Bono called the White House from the stage trying to get the president on the line as cars swirled around the stage and images flashed on the screen. I had never seen anything like it. I vividly remember the word BELIEVE flashed in white on a black screen and the word started to fade leaving just LIE up on the screen. Not only did this mean I would never misspell that word ever again, but more importantly it challenged me to start questioning the source of my daily information. In hindsight that concert changed me....made me more aware and forced me to sit up and take notice of the world around me. I was much more curious about the things I would eventually study at Uni and emboldened by the thought that maybe I should question some of the things in my world.

That whole trip was so sweet...partying up in North Vancouver (the details of which I can't share here, but let's just say Lonsdale Quay is but a blur at sunrise in my memory), spending our days wandering the campus of UBC, I'll never forget my first ever U2 concert experience because it brought so many other things with it.

Song Du Jour: Believe - The Bravery
The Sun and The Moon stands as my fav album of 2007...they just re-released a double cd with remixes should you feel the need to run down to your local HIV and buy one...

1 comment:

Germanicus Fortunov said...

I dig that song by The Bravery and I was searching for the author of the song when I came upon your blog.

I'm genetically Irish as well with some Welsh & French thrown in.

I'm 5'9.5" inches and look like Matthew Broderick.

I don't know, I just liked your pic, Irish fanaticism & musical taste. I mean I like at least half the groups you like and that never happens. I also like big girls. How tall are you?

I don't like to post my pictures as I'm not diggin' the American oligarchy spy machine but would be happy to eMail you one if you'd like.

You can eMail me at germanicusFortunov@gMail.com

I know living in different countries means we'll never meet but it's nice to flirt with a cutie so I figure what the hell.

i also like your writing style which is so relaxed and honest. I'd like to have a beer and a shot with you and then do some karaoke.