Wednesday, December 21, 2005

"Coach Melody Davidson has announced Canada's Women’s Hockey roster for the 2006 Olympic Winter Games"


"Today on Politics, sports"- Don Newman.

Take that Elexmas! In Vancity they finally made the big announcement. Very exciting. They had a moment of silence for Super Hockey Mom Phyllis Gretzky, and then Kevin Lowe actually spoke in 'French'! I felt so nervous for him.

They had kids dress up in the players jerseys and walk out as they announced each team, except for Cassie Campbell and Hayley Wickenheiser who wore their jerseys. That was strange. Did anybody else notice any actual player wear the jersey?? I'd hoped we'd see Jovanovski, Bertuzzi, Smyth and Pronger, seeing as they were probably in the building...but no.

So everybody else will be talking about The Men's Canadian National Team, you'll be all, "Oh my god Crosbie didn't make it and holy crap they cut Cujo, and hmmm...I wonder who will play the 44 if both Pronger and Bertuzzi play?"

I would like to bring up the Women's Team . So Delaney Collins made it as an alternate. She used to be a Panda and I thought she would make it. The age difference is interesting: The oldest member born in '66 and the youngest in '87. Does anybody (Jake) know who Meghan Agosta is?
(oh and note the absence of the hyphenated Pie at the end of Ms. Collins' name...I guess we can stop calling her Delicious now that she is single again)

I could rant and rave about the fact that there are 21 members on this team and 3 are from western Canada. I guess you're just screwed if you don't live in Upper or Lower Canada. Whatever. Can these ladies defend the cup? Hells ya, it will be great to watch. With the exceptional athletes in this country it's not only the Men's team that has enough talent to make another contending team the women would have enough depth to do that too.

At this moment though, I can only think about Gilles Duceppe and his vow to create a Quebec National team. Many were shocked by this because it would steal away hockey talent from Team Canada. Maybe if that did happen some of the exceptional talent west of Ontario might get to wear the red and black for this nation.
I'm voting Bloc. Allez Les Duceppes!!

Song Du Jour: In a Little While ~ U2

3 comments:

Adam said...

What can I say? 44's a good number. I think they should all wear it...like those ugly yellow Team Canada jerseys that all have "Canada" as the name on the back.

Good to see Delicious made the team but I'm very sad she broke up with Mr. Pye.

Jake said...

The name rings a bell, but I don't really know anything about her except that she's on the U-22 team. Sadly, I'm not the women's hockey expert y'all seem to think I am. As with Aussie rules football, an inability to watch the game with any regularity leads me to completely lose track of what's going on.

Also, you should tell the Chimos that it was very inconsiderate of them to not have any games during my break. And also to have their only January games while I'm going to be in Toronto.

Anonymous said...

Hey Heather,

It's Thursday afternoon. I know I should have been more organized, but I've been busy, but anyways... If you happen to check your blog today, give me a call at 467-0900, and maybe we can meet up tonight. I'll be out between 7-9pm. See you later! Sorry I didn't contact you earlier!

Ken