Thursday, April 07, 2005

"I have a sweet tooth for song and music. This is my Polish sin." ~ Pope John Paul II

I have been asked to go back and edit my blog to save the reputation of a kind and gentle soul. How funny is that? I think from now on I will only speak of people by using their nicknames, which I admit will make reading this blog all the more esoteric for some of you...but you'll get over it.

There is so much to talk about. The Pope died, and although I watched some of 'Pope-Death-Watch 2005' on every bloody channel I must say that CBC newsworld ran an excellent biography. It was the only channel that gave me some insight into why everybody is now referring to him as "Pope Extraordinaire" in so many words. Did you know he studied theatre and was in trying to get a BFA? His high School religion teacher once said The teenage Pope was "more interested in the theatre than the cloth."

Apparently Canada gets 5 seats at the funeral. Harper is going with Martin and Martin's Wife and Jean Charest is going...so I guess that leaves one empty seat for the rest of the premiers to fight over...And why does Charest get to go? Who should get the other seat? Adrienne Clarkson? Should there be a raffle or contest open to the most devout??
I laughed at the hypocrisy of the Vatican respecting the Pope's final wishes, and yet spoke out against the death (her last wishes) of Terry Shaivo (sp?) in Florida. I find myself hoping that the 'Pope on Deck' will also be willing to reform the church to make it more relevant but info on the candidates is sparse. I guess we'll know by April 21st. Can you believe the crowds waiting in line to pay their respects? Millions upon Millions...If each one of those individuals donated the 12+ hours they waited in line to see The Man to a worthy cause over the last week-- imagine what could have been accomplished! That's the Catholic (albeit lapsed) talking in me.

On to Sports...The Road Runners are 30-30-4-10. For some reason I thought they would come here and be the best team in the AHL and we'd have playoffs and all that...
It must be the "City Of Champions" mentality I have. I don't know if I have just been spoiled with good teams and such, or if my standards are too high, but I have this general feel that we will be the best no matter what the team or sport. The Bears, The Pandas, the S'mos. I am going to the RR's game on Friday...Here's hoping they play "the DeLaurian" in goal (Deslauriers, Jeff) and eek out a win...highly unlikely but I am full of hope. However, they are playing the Maple Leafs (42-27-1-4) so putting one in the Win column will be difficult, to say the least.
Rocky Thompson has been selected as the Road Runners' nominee for the American Specialty/AHL Man-of-the-Year Award for his outstanding contributions to the Edmonton community and charitable organizations during the 2004-05 season. He hits, he maims, he gives back to the community? He's an enigma.

Let's seee...I've hit 2 out of 3 taboo subjects...Religion and Sports...I guess I leave the politics to later. OnlyI will mention this-- how stupid is the so-called publication ban on the Gomery inquiry? They have it on CCTV in Ottawa so I can find out easily enough what is going on. Cripes...

Song Du Jour: "Holiday" by Green Day

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Weeds,
I think the good professor was being a little overly cautious, but I've been through the same sort of thing myself so I have to defer to him. I agree you have to leave the picture up. Air guitar rules!

Btw, I went to Question Period yesterday. Is Peter MaKay a total jackass or what? After his performance yesterday I had to say he's the biggest tool in the box. Afterwards when the period ended Stockwell Day gave a very compassionate speech about the Air India disaster to an empty House. Even though he is an Adam and Eve literalist reactionary who beleives dinosaurs came from outer space, he was far more impressive than McKay. Btw Belinda never shows in the House.

Pope? I don't even believe in Jeebus.

Dukey