Wednesday, June 01, 2011

U2360 Edgemonton "Begging to get back to my heart, to the rthym of my soul.."

From the GA:

I fell asleep under a make shift lean to supplied by my mates in line, and got about 5 minutes of sleep. I kept dreaming I was trying to sleep under the chairs in a medicentre waiting room. Surrounded by fans chatting and visiting their conversations were creeping into my subconscious.
After 3 hours of trying to sleep I heard someone ask for hj from the atU2 boards. I heard my line mates tell her that I was sleeping and could she come back later. She said she was Garden Tart and I poked my head up...I really wanted to meet her, she drove up from Calgary and we'd been friends on the boards for years. I think it was 8:30 a.m.

I gathered myself up, ran my brush through my hair and brushed my teeth, camping style. It was next to impossible to be worried about how I looked so I thought, screw it, and just got on with it. Who needs sleep when there is all this excitement going on. It was gig day! I had waited 581 days to see this concert!! Everybody was excited!

The day FLEW by. I can barely remember meeting all the people who came to introduce themselves. We organized and got our red and white balloons ready to distribute.

By 10:30 I was taking my first break, home to shower, pack some stuff back with me from GA and get lunch. I got back in line at 11:30. I felt like a new person after that shower.I was ready for the gig. We took turns numbering the rest of the fans. We stopped at 850.

By 2:30 the security folks were already passing out mixed info. They gave us 5 minutes to pack up our stuff and many fans missed it. Some of the top 50 in line lost their spots. It was very disorganized and a huge let down after all we had done to try to communicate with Commonwealth. They moved us into a short line, side by side, and we waited. And waited. It was the most anxious time. But we tried to keep our spirits up and we took a group photo:




Then a lady came out and told us very specific instructions. They would open 3 gates and we would proceed down aisle M. Then she came out and told us something different. We were all very concerned because it seemed like they had no idea what they were doing.




And they didn't have any idea what they were doing, it was clear. When the gates opened, many fans tickets would not scan. People from the back pushed forward in a surge, once we got in we headed for M like we'd been told only to be yelled at for that...and told we were going the wrong way. Massive confusion and it caused a panic. I looped back to the end zone stairs and ran down them. No one stopped me, it could have been very dangerous. We ran across the field. I pretended to be Calvin McCarty and ran that 110 yards for a touchdown faster than I think I have ever run in my life. It was a giant loop to get into the inner circle, my heart pounding, my adrenaline pumping. One usher, she tried to tell me I could not enter the turn style, she was wrong and had been given the WRONG information, so I pushed past her and carried on. (I felt really bad about that and went back to apologize later) I rounded the corner only to see all my line mates, panic on their faces, running towards me, Commonwealth had closed the gates on Adam Side so they all had to run around to Edge Side.

Commonwealth managed to make it the WORST GA I have ever been a part of. They are just lucky no one got hurt. When it all stopped...I realized I had grabbed a rail and just sat down­. We all took a moment. WHEW! I was inner circle, front row, between The Edge and Bono. HOLY SHIT!

I needed a beer.

1 comment:

SweetMarie83 said...

Holy shit is right! You are so friggin lucky. I hope to the gods I can say the same 2 weeks from now - except, hopefully, minus all the GA bullshit you had to go through lol - sorry about that, but it paid off!