Friday, June 17, 2011

"It's not what you're dreaming, but what you're gonna do"

I got to take public transit this week! My car decided (in the pouring rain, on the Henday) that the Wiper Blade motor Linkage should break and then the check engine light came on. It was one of those moments...I could not pull over and needed to make it to the nearest mechanic. So I did my best to stay calm...got off on 87 Avenue and took the back roads, stopping every couple of blocks to manually clean the windshield. This must have looked hilarious. After that my whole day was derailed, but I managed to get through without freaking out at all. I mean what can you do right?

It has been a long time since I took the bus, and it wasn't half bad. I mean sure I had to transfer twice and run for both connections, but it only took me 40 minutes to get to work. For ETS, that's impressive. I like having all that time to listen to music and think. I have lots to think about right now. Lots. Do you ever find yourself having to make giant decisions and you just can't? I feel oddly contradictory this week. I have to find a new car, a process I am dreading and although I really want a more reliable car, but I sure don't want to have to pay for it. It's a weird feeling. I know I need a car...really my whole life is organized around being able to get places that have no transit service...but I have really, just recently, considered not buying a new one. Think of all the money I could save each month and I could go travelling more. But is that worth months of no car in a city that you need one? hmmm....
It's a giant decision. I thought once I was forced into it...well I thought making this decision would be easier. Turns out it's not. I need more time.

I am also working on a series of blog posts from my U2 week, including the gig bit of the Edgemonton show and my first hardcore GA and front row experience...oh and all of Seattle which was seriously so much fun. I will get around to posting them soon. I did something a bit different and took a journal with me on my trips, then actually wrote my adventures down in it. I know. So 1990's. I kinda really enjoyed it.
It's also not a public blog so I put a lot of good stuff in there. Which none of you get to read. Sorry. But because it is all written down I feel very lazy about blogging it, actually. It's lovely to have things to look forward too, I can't believe how lucky I am...well you know relatively speaking, the car business is just a blip on the screen, I hope.

Song Du Jour Summer Rain by U2

"It's not why you're running
It's where you're going
It's not what you're dreaming
But what you're gonna do
It's not where you're born
It's where you belong
It's not how weak
But what will make you strong..."

No comments: