Saturday, April 24, 2010

"As hard as it can get, there are still moments where the four of us can shut out the world." - Adam Clayton

"The editors of SPIN have ranked the most influential releases since the magazine's 1985 beginnings - and Achtung Baby (AB) comes in at No.1. 'U2's most immediately dynamic music since 1982's War, and its most emotionally frank songs to date, capturing that particular early-'90s rub of boundless possibility and worn-down despair... 'One' became an indelible anthem because it admitted 'we're not the same' but urged that we've gotta 'carry each other' nonetheless. The squalling swagger of 'The Fly' resonated due to the rock star at its center confessing he's a liar and a thief. And for 'Mysterious Ways,' the Edge somehow concocted a jubilantly snarling riff that transformed Bono's gospel come-on...' "


I think I love what AB means to me, over and above it being one of the best albums musically and lyrically. It reminds me of my 1992 adventure through the Rockies to see U2 in concert for the first time. I can't listen to that album without feeling the way I felt then. When I think of Vancouver it is this album that is the soundtrack behind my memories. On the bus ride down, listening on my NEW "discman"! One-- the epic breakup song...Is there anyone that doesn't struggle to find the words to express how much that song means to them? It is so personal. So intimate.

It is bound by our humanity and AB puts to music the feelings I find so hard to express; Pure Joy and happiness to complete heart searing loss.
I love the way AB can make me smile and dance and think and cry. It also rocks!

Track List
Zoo Station Lyrics
Even Better Than The Real Thing Lyrics
One Lyrics
Until The End Of The World Lyrics
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses Lyrics
So Cruel Lyrics
The Fly Lyrics
Mysterious Ways Lyrics
->Song Du Jour: Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World Lyrics
Ultraviolet (Light My Way) Lyrics
Acrobat Lyrics
Love Is Blindness Lyrics


Youtube Playlist

No comments: