Tuesday, January 31, 2006

"usually the crazy ones play defense..." - Tiki Barber

Tiki was on Letterman last night. Letterman asked Tiki, "you know what the problem is with Eli Manning?"
"What?" Tiki says hesitantly, and then cringes awaiting the answer.
Letterman says, "He's only 14 years old..."

Holly Robinson Peete was on Martha yesterday talking about the Superbowl and Martha was all, "oh yeah I think I'll go to the Superbowl...*I* have friends in Seattle and it is so nice there this time of year."
Martha blathered on (and on) about the rain in Seattle, etc... until Peete leveled her with, "uuuhhhh, but the Superbowl is being played in Detroit ya dumb ass."
Priceless.
But that's not why I came to post originally(...although I am getting excited for, as Martha calls it, Superbowl Day!)

The Oscar Nominations are out today!!
Who do *you* think will win?

Here are the nominations:

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Amy Adams, "Junebug"
Catherine Keener, "Capote"
Frances McDormand, "North Country"
Rachel Weisz, "The Constant Gardener"
Michelle Williams, "Brokeback Mountain"

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
George Clooney, "Syriana"
Matt Dillon, "Crash"
Paul Giamatti, "Cinderella Man"
Jake Gyllenhaal, "Brokeback Mountain"
William Hurt, "A History of Violence"

BEST ACTRESS
Judi Dench, "Mrs. Henderson Presents"
Felicity Huffman, "Transamerica"
Keira Knightley, "Pride & Prejudice"
Charlize Theron, "North Country"
Reese Witherspoon, "Walk the Line"

BEST ACTOR
Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Capote"
Terrence Howard, "Hustle & Flow"
Heath Ledger, "Brokeback Mountain"
Joaquin Phoenix, "Walk the Line"
David Strathairn, "Good Night, and Good Luck"

BEST DIRECTOR
Ang Lee, "Brokeback Mountain"
Bennett Miller, "Capote"
Paul Haggis, "Crash"
George Clooney, "Good Night, and Good Luck"
Steven Spielberg, "Munich"

BEST SCREENPLAY
Paul Haggis and Bobby Moresco, "Crash"
George Clooney and Grant Heslov, "Good Night, and Good Luck"
Woody Allen, "Match Point"
Noah Baumbach, "The Squid and the Whale"
Steven Gaghan, "Syriana"

BEST PICTURE
"Brokeback Mountain"
"Capote"
"Crash"
"Good Night, and Good Luck"
"Munich"

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Larry McMutry and Diana Ossana, "Brokeback Mountain"
Dan Futterman, "Capote"
Jeffrey Caine, "The Constant Gardener"
Josh Olson, "A History of Violence"
Tony Kushner and Eric Roth, "Munich"

BEST ANIMATED FILM
"Howl's Moving Castle," Hayao Miyazake
"Tim Burton's Corpse Bride," Tim Burton
"Wallace & Grommit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit," Nick Park

BEST FOREIGN FILM
"Don't Tell" (Italy)
"Joyeux Noël" (France)
"Paradise Now" (Palestine)
"Sophie Scholl - The Final Days" (Germany)
"Tsotsi" (South Africa)

Song Du Jour: Better Man ~ Pearl Jam
"She dreams in color, she dreams in red..."

7 comments:

Adam said...

hahaha...the crazy ones do play defence, he's absolutely right.

I'll do my picks once I've seen some more of the movies. The good news is that "Good Night and Good Times" has six nominations, so it's very likely going to be re-released. And I really need to see "Cinderella Man" now...you didn't tell me Miles from "Sideways" was in it!

Anonymous said...

I know how you hate free markets and capitalism, but the futures market at Intrade has Bareback Mounting 60% to win best picture, which means it's a virtual lock.

I watch Tiki on the FOX News morning show (primetime for me). He's actually a voice of sanity at times against the tin foil hat rantings of the other hosts. That said he does come out with some pretty hardcore statements at times. The best part is that they often feature his wife watching in the green room and she is a stone cold fox('natch).

Steelers by 10, take that to the bank.

Duke

"Steve Smith" said...

I haven't seen a single one of those movies. Oh my.

Heather said...

The Dude,

Make sure to wear your waterproof mascara and take your tissues when you watch Cinderella Man. And don't drink Merlot.

The Duke,
I shall indeed take that to the bank. Although on Sunday you'll find me cheering for Seattle. Without their 12th man and the fact that Bettis is from Detroit, not to mention proximity, I think The Steelers have a bit of that home field advantage.

The Half-pipe,
We'll be going to see some of those movies in the next little while so I'll see if I can drag you along. I want to go see Syriana and Good Night and Good Times. Apparently I'll be spending my Ralph Bucks on movies.
Yay escapism!

Anonymous said...

I thought Syriana was good, but it's like "Crash", lot's of interconnecting stories, lot's of badness, moral lessons? I'm not sure.

There is one scene where the little boy dies which decreased my appreciation for the movie, I thought it was quite tasteless and I advise anyone who doesn't want to see that to avoid the movie. (I was watching a pirate "reviewer" copy so it may not be in the cinema version)

Duke

Anonymous said...

Steelers didn't win by 10, they won by 11. Just saying is all...

Duke

Heather said...

Okay I have now officially seen all the best picture nominated movies and if I were permitted to cast a ballot I would vote for Crash. Hands down.

If it were a preferential ballot, mine would look like this:

BEST PICTURE
5 - "Brokeback Mountain"
2 - "Capote"
1 - "Crash"
3 - "Good Night, and Good Luck"
4 - "Munich"

Munich was much better than I thought it would be and is very realistic and engaging except I don't understand the final sex scene juxtaposed against the violence. If you've seen it somebody please start 'splaining.

Broke Ass Mounting was about 45 minutes too long, but was a really brilliant love story but what the hype is all about I don't really know. And Jake Gyllenhaal should get the oscar for his performance. Heath Leger was too "Boomhauer" for my liking.
"Dang Broke back Mountain Dang ol' Boomhauer, man, tell you 'bout myself woowee uhuh turn ons "Fishing" man.

If you get a chance to see Good Night and Good Luck I would highly recommend it. It was well acted and really captured the tension between McCarthy and The Media in the 1950's.