Thursday, January 19, 2006

"The ability to delude yourself may be an important survival tool" - Jane Wagner

When I started University I found myself fighting my thoughts of how things "ought" to be as opposed to how they are. After 3.5 years of studying international relations I have become somewhat cynical and a lot more realist than even I care to admit. Yesterday, in my seminar on ethics, there was a young gentleman who reminded me of myself 3 years ago. To the delight of some of my classmates he made comments like, "all humans are rational". It was great. I miss being the idealistic one in the class...and although that bright and shiny idealism resonates as pure naivete, there are days I wish I could forget some of the really harsh reality crap I have learned and go back to being happy in my wee little cave watching the puppets on the wall...damn you Plato.

This weekend is shaping up as a busy, busy one. I am working the election on Monday so I have to go fetch my poll with my poll clerk tomorrow, I work all weekend (go pandas!) and it is the most exciting weekend, IMHO, in the NFL because Sunday brings us the AFC/NFC Championships. Dinner with the family will cut into the Carolina V. Seattle game so I will have to miss Carolina lose their panties Sunday night (I hope). It "ought" to be Denver and Seattle in the Superbowl, but the reality might be a win for the Steelers. gross.

Speaking of how things ought to be, why is this election not about electoral reform? hmm?
If I don't get a chance to say it later, this is a reminder to go out and vote all you Canadians. And no matter what Anne McLellan says as she tries to save her jobity-job, when you cast a vote in this country it is *NOT* the person you are voting for it is the party. And if you don't like that well then just jump on board my cozy "how it ought to be" wagon and grab yourself a beer. Even with electoral reform, like say PR, party discipline will still be the name of the game.

booooo, I say, Boooo.

Song Du Jour: Neighborhood #3 (Power Out) ~ The Arcade Fire

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

But the Conservatives promise free votes on _everything_ except for the budget. Wouldn't the individual matter if they follow through on that promise?

- Mustafa Hirji

Anonymous said...

Can political inaction be seen as political protest and a valid form of political activity? We had this discussion in my Political Science class, but it strayed off topic far too much. This election obviously has many voters that would rather not take any of the poison offered to them. What are their options? Weeds, I'd like to get your point of view (though I'm pretty sure I know what your response will be)...

Indian

Anonymous said...

Interesting to read the Indian expressing an idea not related to NFL/NHL. I see 8 yrs of University has finally made a slight impact.

Weeds, why should electoral reform be an issue? The only people who have anthing to gain are fringe parties who otherwise could not elect anyone. Do we really think adopting the Italian Parlaiment model would benefit us? Get real fer F-sakes.

One nice thing about this election will be the banishment of "Landslide Annie", easily the worst, most obnoxious polititician in Ottawa (and my nominal boss). A crass oportunist, her staff are the kind of gut churning, greasy weasels that have disillussioned a generation of voters. To quote "Slapshot", she make me sick when she speak.

Duke

Heather said...

Frick Duke, stop mincing words and tell us how you really feel.

Free votes will not address the huge democratic deficit in our electoral system. Canadians' voting rights, as guaranteed by section 3 of the Charter, would still be breached by our completely out dated first-past- the-post-system. Sadly even with PR I find myself unhappy with that compromise. I guess I will always look at how it ought to be and wish for a system based on merit and not party affiliation.

Indian,
No.

What is a legitimate way to validate that political protest?
If a tree falls in the forest does anybody hear? A spoiled ballot is simply a spoiled ballot so even if that protest took the form of coming down to vote and writing "Fuck you, my man" on your ballot, or writing a treatise on the merits of valid political protest on said spoiled ballot it is just like any other spoiled ballot. Nobody is taking note of such a protest and if you don't vote then nobody hears you.
What needs to be addressed are the reasons for apathy...for example an electoral system that makes me feel like my vote doesn't count...ummm because basically it doesn't. sad that.
What are your thoughts?
As for options...I think that there could be a None of the Above option. NOTA would be a valid vote and then we could gage what percentage of Canadians said, "holy crap you all suck."

Duke,
Sadly I'm no expert on the Italian Parliament model so please enlighten me 'fer F-sakes'.
I'll take your word on the yes men surrounding Queen Annie. Have you met Laurie Hawn? He's the Conservative running against her and has the personality of a shoe. okay, a very mean, cold shoe. He's one scary mofo. I kid you not. As much as I hate the "lesser of two evils" argument, this time I would employ it. *shudder*

Anonymous said...

Italian Parlaiment in the sense of do nothing coalitions of the most unlikely allies that accomplish nothing and eventually collapse. If we go proportional rep, as you seem to suggest, we will have too many narrow interest parties that have no incentive to collaborate. We're almost there anyway.

Section 3 of the Charter;
"Every citizen of Canada has the right to vote in an election of members of the House of Commons or of a legislative assembly and to be qualified for membership therein."

So explain again how, "...Canadians' voting rights, as guaranteed by section 3 of the Charter, would still be breached by our completely out dated first-past- the-post-system." are violated by our parlaimentary elections? What-ever grad student fed you that line should be kicked out of the bar.

Laurie Hawn whoever he is will be a backbencher, a "very scary, nudge, nudge, wink, wink" backbencher, but still a backbencher. Lanslide Annie is the deputy PM, and a total disgrace, point, fini.

Duke

Heather said...

If my vote doesn't count because it has less value than a vote counted in Quebec then how can we even call it a vote? And no grad student had to feed me that info, thank you very much, so stop patronizing me.

Well, its a moot point anyhow because with a minority Conservative government PR is once again put on the backburner.
I'm looking forward to seeing what this government will accomplish. Feb 6th they get sworn in and I can't wait to hear the Cabinet members.

Heather said...

Duke,

Here are some numbers you might like to consider:

per cent of votes for NDP: 17.5%
per cent of seats for NDP: 9.4%
factor by which vote share exceeded seats: 1.86

per cent of votes for Bloc: 10.5%
per cent of seats for Bloc: 16.6%
factor by which seats exceeded vote share: 1.58

number of votes for the Conservatives in Alberta: 930817
number of seats: 28
votes per MP: 33243

number of votes for the the NDP nationally: 2590663
number of seats: 29
votes per MP: 89333

factor by which is is more difficult to win as an NDPer nationwide than as a Tory in Alberta: 2.69

number of Albertans whose votes were not reflected in the outcome: 502202

number of votes for the Green party nationally: 665876
number of seats: 0*

Despair at the injustice of it all: infinite

*that's like disenfranchising the entire city of Winnipeg (having a 2005 population of rougly 650,000)

This information stolen from Interlocutor and his fine blog:
http://semicolons.blogspot.com/