Friday, October 21, 2005

"Adam Clayton on MTV Singapore last night said "Discotheque" was not only his favorite U2 song, but also their most important as a band" The Duke

Pop was confusing when it first came out but, I love that album now more than ever.
'The themes are love, desire and faith in crisis - the usual stuff.'~ Edge

I wonder why Adam Clayton thinks Discotheque is the most important to the band? It's not one of my favorites but the album is brilliant. It is so raw. 'Staring at The Sun' is my favorite track off that album. I didn't warm up to Pop right away though, it grew on me over many years. It is very deceptive because you think it will be Pop, which implies a fluffy quality, but this is such a dark album.

Brendan Kennelly in Propaganda wrote:
It is as if Bono had allowed the obscene, destructive energies of our world into his own heart so that he can give shape and authority to his vision of peace and love. Yet this vision is being constantly assaulted, even, at moments, deeply wounded, with the result that many of Pop’s memorable songs are riddled with doubt, ambiguity, a pervasive sense of hurt and a dark sense of loss. Even, or perhaps even especially, a central human relationship, that between man and woman in love, is constantly darkened by an underlying menace which will not go away because violence, in one form or another, thrives at the heart of things.
I wonder if Adam Clayton liked Discotheque because of the big, shiny, mirror-ball lemon they came out in during the Pop Tour? They got stuck in that thing once. ha ha. I know your disdain for live music Willis, but I find that seeing U2 live can be compared to nothing else and Discotheque live is something else! The songs on Pop are all so dynamic and so different it is amazing they all ended up on one album. But I like that...it's like life in the way it is complicated and contradictory all in the same moment as being wondrous and sweet. It's hopeful and hopeless all at the same time. What do you think?

Song Du Jour: If God Will Send His Angels

"Nobody else here baby
No-one else here to blame
No-one to point the finger
It's just you and me and the rain.

Nobody made you do it
No one put words in your mouth.
Nobody here taking orders
When love took a train heading south.
It's the blind leading the blond
It's the stuff, it's the stuff of country songs.

Hey, if God will send his angels
And if God will send a sign
And if God will send his angels
Would everything be alright?

God's got his phone off the hook, babe
Would he even pick up if he could?
It's been a while since we saw that child
Hangin' round this neighbourhood.

See his mother dealing in a doorway
See Father Christmas with a begging bowl.
And Jesus' sister's eyes are a blister
The High Street never looked so low.

It's the blind leading the blond
It's the cops collecting for the cons.
So where is the hope and
Where is the faith and the love?
What's that you say to me
Does love light up your Christmas tree?
The next minute you're blowing a fuse
And the cartoon network turns into the news.

If God will send his angels
And if God will send a sign
Well if God will send his angels
Where do we go?
Where do we go?

Jesus never let me down
You know Jesus used to show me the score.
Then they put Jesus in show business
Now it's hard to get in the door.

It's the stuff, it's the stuff of country songs
But I guess it was something to go on.
Hey, if God will send his angels
I sure could use them here right now
Well, if God will send his angels...

Where do we go?
Where do we go?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He was saying something about how the song was like the door between the "old" U2 and the "new" U2, like the TSN turning point. He said if they hadn't made that song they would not have progressed musically as a band, also it was one of the funnest songs they had done, and that's why the video was meant to be funny and really tongue in cheek. Remember the Edge dressed up in his rough trade costume?

Btw, listening to "No Code" by PJ last night. REALLY took me back to the Moontower days. I can definitely say that is the best PJ album, without a doubt.

Also broke down and spent the 99 pence on "Golddigger" by Kanye. Cool song but is Jamie Foxx now becoming a singer? Didn't anyone tell him about what happened to Eddie Murphy? "My girl wants to party all the time"? Urrgh.

D

Vivec said...

I can't really listen to old U2 because it reminds me of the past. too much nostalgia. Therefore I need them to keep making new albums until I die.