Thursday, October 14, 2004

"He wasn't a violent alchy, just a gentle soak..." ~ Professor Pooh

My professor digressed and told a story in class on Tuesday about the neighbourhood drunk from his childhood. The drunk was an optometrist and he had a glass eye. Being an optometrist with a taste for the sauce he bought, at cost, a series of eyes in varying shades of bloodshot that he would replace as the night faded into oblivion. If he had to go to the bathroom he would remove his eye and prop it up on 2 straws over his brew..."keeping an eye on his beer."

Apparently Professor pooh would steal said eyes and use them as marbles in the school yard and, pretending to wipe a nostalgic tear from his eye, he commented, "they were the best marbles he had...." I was falling out of my chair laughing at this unexpected anecdote but the rest of the class doesn't seem to grasp his witty British humour.

Today he was explaining, while trying to get the overhead projector to work, that he wasn't a technophone per say, just terribly inept. He worried aloud that if he did get it working the bulb would most likely burn out...
There was a comment from the class about Murphy's law...and he scoffed and asked if we'd heard of 'Coles law' and to the shaking heads he said, "mostly made of shredded cabbage if memory serves me correctly...

Ba-dum-ba! Ching!!
That class is always entertaining...

We are studying Treasure Island....sadly I rented the movie to save myself some time...But I do plan on going pirate this weekend, (that counts for something right?) and I think my self-professed piss-tank of a professor would highly approve.

I got a new job this week and although I am up to my ears in my projects I am having a great week so it is celebration time!

Song Du Jour: Fair ~ Remy Zero (I am so sad they are no longer a band...)

"You're so strong
And this life and work and choice took far too long
Where'd it go? Tonight the sun shall see its light..."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Umm Treasure Island...I am guessin you dont need my copy? Let me know if you still need it,

Allie

Alexandra Taylor said...

I take it that's Chris Gordon Craig you're talking about...
Try catching him after a few glasses of wine - he's increasingly funny.

Heather said...

Hey,

Yes Allie, I will need that book...see ya Friday in Ratt.

Boggy,
I got that publicist job at the International Centre...Woohoo!!

Alex,

Tee hee...professor Pooh...Sadly he's sober most days.
I will have to watch what I say now that he has been outted...

Alexandra Taylor said...

I'm sure enough people could have figured out which prof you were talking about, especially if they've been in arts for more than a couple of years.

Heather said...

Yes, the man seems to be infamous...Many a story has been told to me about Professor Pooh and clearly his escapades have really damaged a lot of undergrads.
I must admit I enjoy his torturing ways...