Friday, December 11, 2009

"Only the dead have seen the end of war... "

You know how normally you go to a movie to escape reality? The movie Brothers is no escape. It is incredibly heart wrenching, profound, complicated, violent and in a word, real.

And that is why you should go see it.

The tension between father and son (and father and daughter) is portrayed so vividly that I squirmed in my chair in the uncomfortable and pregnant silences. I have to admit I went to see this movie because I saw the trailer months ago and got goosebumps because they featured Bad by U2. That song brings so much emotion with it, and then to know Jim Sheridan was involved, well I knew it was a must see. Winter, a song soon to be nominated for an Oscar, is perfect in this movie and puts an end to the movie that left me breathless.

There were some firsts for me at the theatre last night...it is the first time I have seen the cops arrest someone at a theatre. Then, because I was about 1/2 an hour early, I was killing time in the lobby when security dragged another person from a theatre, all this drama and the previews hadn't even rolled.

During the movie, another first, a lady sitting behind us bolted from the theatre in tears, horrified. There is considerable violence in this movie...emotional and physical violence . One scene in particular, the one that had that lady running for the door clutching her tummy and sobbing, depicts a marine trying to get back to his family at any cost. The cost might be to dear.




The Brothers motif could have been reinforced with a few scenes from their past which would have made me connect to them as brothers. As it is, the sibling relationship does not develop fully or resonate the way I think Sheridan really wanted it to. I think that he almost had it because Tommy, Jake Gyllenhaal, tells the children about a time when he saved his brother from the river...this would have worked well if there had been one extra scene depicting that for recall later in the movie when the troubled Tommy has to wade into metaphorical waters and save him from drowning again. I wish that had been developed more.

The movie sort of falls short on dialogue...and doesn't really gel because it left me empty at the end and wondering a bit what was the point. BUT, the performances are spectacular and I hope they get oscar nods. Toby Maguire as Cpt. Sam Cahill is one scary mofo but the script lets him down I think. Bailee Madison, as the oldest of Sam's 2 daughters is so riveting I think we may see a lot of this young actor. She managed to show us the emotions behind her emotions on screen. Incredible. Really incredible.

So go see this movie for the U2 songs and for the performances and prepared to be assaulted by some real people in real situations with real problems. There is no fantasy here. It is raw and will leave you in the same state.

For the U2 nerds like me: Bad is the version off Wide Awake In America with additional lyrics "Come On Down", at the end. Winter is a different version than the one used in Anton Corbijn's movie Linear. The soundtrack version of Winter has more piano it, no strings and really captures the films rawness. But you have all heard it already this week so you already know. Go see the movie and then tell me which version you like better.

Song Du Jour: U2's Bad (Wide Awake in America version) live in 1985:

You Tube
Lyrics

Photo: Tobey Maguire and Jake Gyllenhaal in Brothers Photo belongs to all rights reserved: Lionsgate

No comments: