Monday, January 11, 2010

Sometimes I wish I was dead. I'll be okay, I guess, 'cause I'm lookin' up. Lookin' for something to fall

So we went and saw Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire and I struggled to watch the really hard parts. It was the best movie...which seems somehow wrong to say...it was the most provocative movie I have seen, but I haven't seen Hurt Locker, it doesn't open until next week here. With Precious you see a stripped down, raw, and tender glimpse into a young woman's life. A woman who is told she has no worth but just refuses to listen. It will inspire you --no....Precious will rip your heart out and remind you to LIVE your life to the fullest. You will be transported back into the late 80's to Harlem where giggles and laughs are hard to find but when they come they are pure joy. The scenes with Mary the Mother from HELL are riveting. Mo'Nique should win the oscar --hands down. She plays a woman so completely convinced of her own distorted reality that I was blown away.

Not recommended for the softies out there, violence is part of their lives every day, and to walk with Precious through her life from day to day will wind you. It's the kind of movie you have to sit back in your chair after the credits roll and take a moment to let it all sink in. Powerful to the point that I thought how grateful I was for my screwed up life....Go see it!

This is going to be my pick for best movie of 2009. This and Up in a weird top 2 list. Everything else I have seen...from Avatar to Sherlock Holmes (maybe in my top 5 because of Guy Ritchie, but I hate a movie that just leads to a freaking sequel) to what ever other regurgitated scripted crap hollywood churned out---this is the one to see.

Song Du Jour: Born On The FM Waves Of The Heart by Against Me! (with Tegan! can't wait to see the Tegan and Sarah concert tomorrow night!!)

No comments: