Sunday, December 06, 2009

"I was born to sing for you, I didn’t have a choice, to lift you up"

My 2009 CONCERT SEASON

I honestly think that our broken economy was brought back to life with a "b-zolt" from the Modern Rock Defribulator! The sheer number of concerts and all the amazing bands who toured this year must have had some impact. I could barely keep up and even though I saw Blink 182 and Green Day for free (Thanks Sonic 102.9 and Veronica and Clint)--like a pumpkin on the street come Nov. 1st I smashed my concert budget wide open this year.

Here is my Top 10 list of concerts from 2009. This was THE busiest freaking concert season so many of the peeps I saw didn't even get on the list. I missed No Doubt and Moby...but I imagine they'd be on this list if I had gone. Sad I missed out.

1. October u2 360 Las Vegas (BEP) - GA for the first time - nothing compares.

2. June 18 Coldplay (Snow Patrol) - almost as good as a U2 concert! And Snow patrol were great too. I have waited a long time to see these 2 bands...incredible show...The Hardest Part made me tear up...
3. August 12 Kings of Leon (The Whigs) HOLY CRAP this was a great show!

4. August 14 Silversun Pickups (Manchester Orchestra and Cage the Elephant) Just go see them.

5. Sept 5 - Sonic Boom Franz Ferdinand Taking Back Sunday, Metric, Billy Talent, Alexisonfire, Girl Talk, IllScarlett, The Wet Secrets, uss Special shout out to Ill Scarlet here...they blew me away! They alone were wicked! (I saw them again at the Starlite room with USS and they can get a crowd moving in a way that is incredible)

6. August 29 Oasis (Ryan Adams & The Cardinals)
7. Sept. 26 Gaslight Anthem, althought I hate, hate that venue...grumble, grumble...)

8. April 27 The Killers (Wild Light)

9. March 13 - Faunts

10. July 6 Green Day (Bravery) The Bravery sucked live which broke my heart, I am hoping they will tour again and come back and redeem themselves. Got to see soundcheck with GD!

Honourable mention: July 31 Blink 182 (FOB) (because it was a great show and Travis Barker...amazing, I am surprised they are on this list too by the way, the energy was amazing at the concert I got all caught up.)

The worst concert: The award for most disappointing goes to Stone Temple Pilots...and I was soooo excited to see them, they were not excited to be here. or be on the road, or be on the stage and you could tell. Love their music. Sad their energy was so lackluster

Song Du Jour: Catch and Release By Silversun Pickups.
Swoon was my 2nd favourite Album of 2009 after No Line on The Horizon By U2
Concerts already booked for 2010:
Tegan and Sarah in January. Vampire Weekend, Muse & Silversun Pickups in March! U2 x3 in June and July, you'll only understand if you've seen them live, and Sasquatch! I can hardly wait!

4 comments:

EdgeFest said...

Wheee! I was at the Oasis concert on August 29th last year as well. In fact, we went to that show, to the one the next night in Calgary and then the one two nights after that in Winnipeg after taking in the Labour Day Classic on the 31st. RAWK ON.

Heather said...

You really DO love Liam!
I loved the new material...and I am the Walrus, Koo, koo, kachoo!

It was such a good concert! The sold out crowd was just soooo amazing that night. Although Oasis rocked I have to admit, this Dude punch dancing in the bleeds will remain a highlight for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0dA7hqJESk

LOL!

Unknown said...

Borack here ... a remarkable list.
I only saw a few shows, but the top 5 ranked would have been U2 (BCP), Coldplay (GMP), Manic Street Preachers and Travis (Commodore) and the Mighty Bosstones (Showbox, Seattle). I'd have loved to see The Killers. U2 was the best by far, as we were in GA about 30 feet from the front of the arc) but Coldplay was great too - particularly stuff from Prospekt's March. And hey - you look fine and very kind in your picture, so good luck with the project. Now if only Ultravox would tour NA, I could die in peace. However, I'll see the Stereophonics during the Olympics, so that's at least something positive to look forward to.

Heather said...

Hi Borack I am glad you followed the link...
2009 was a tremendous year for concerts, I lucked out. I saw the Stereophonics in NYC in 2001, really good. I love them.

Travis...I saw them at the EEC here which is this tiny wee venue and they were brilliant. I never thought I would get to see them. I love Travis. That was in 2008.

I FINALLY get to see Muse this year. Tomorrow night it the first of the 2010 concerts! Tegan and Sarah at the Jubilee, I know it will be amazing.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement!!
Which U2 shows will you attend?