Friday, May 13, 2011

"I'm digging the ditches of someone else's luck..."

Sooohooo...it's Friday the 13th. Do you believe in the superstition? I don't really believe in that stuff...actually, I am just glad it's the last day of the work week. Woohoo!

My mother passed away on a Friday the 13th so as I was growing up I used to wonder if that would set the stage for more terrible experiences on that day...but none have come. Thankfully. Maybe one big terrible blow out Friday the 13th is all I will have to endure in my life. Though I don't think I would plan for anything on a day like today, like a wedding for example, I don't truly believe any one day is more lucky than any other. I guess, for me now, it is all about making my own good luck and not relying on something else to bring it to me.

Why is adversity deemed unlucky? Adversity has sometimes been a blessing in my life! It has taught me more than success ever has. Perhaps I am just so very, very lucky to have had all manner of adversity to struggle through because I could have turned out to be such a shallow, selfish person without those experiences. Seems to me the luckiest people are just those of us who believe, without fail, that they are lucky and look at life's ups and downs as just par for the course.

I know a lot of superstitious people and many of them are hockey players. They only lace up their skates in certain ways, or they are the last off the ice during practice, or they tap the goal posts in the same way for every game. Is that why there is no playoff game tonight? Perhaps the NHL recognized that neither the Bruins or The Lightning players would be too keen starting the semifinals tonight.
I enjoy watching the rituals hockey players conjure up for good luck and when fans get in on it by also growing playoff beards, etc. Are there other sports like hockey that take superstition to the nth degree? I can't think of any other sport that celebrates a conference final win by presenting trophies that none of the players will touch.

Today will be as lucky for you as you think it will be. I personally feel that this just may be the luckiest day of my life! I hope it is for you too!

Song Du Jour: Lucky by Radiohead






U2360 countdown: T-Minus 16 more sleeps!!

No comments: