Saturday, March 12, 2011

"I can’t speak the sounds that show no pain..."

What's your favourite Bob Dylan Song?

Tomorrow is a Long Time is mine and our Song Du Jour. Perhaps because it breaks my heart when I hear it, or how it resonates longing for a love that is lost in such a profound way. I imagine Bob, unable to sleep, his heart broken, pouring out his emotions into this song in the dead of night. It is also the way he sings it, the way he pauses, "then I'd lie.....in my beeeeed.....once again."

This song is like a lullaby in its sound, I love the delicate guitar in it, but its lyrics....I really have to say that out of melody, rhythm and lyrics I think lyrics are the most important part of a song to me.

HOLY shit...I never knew Elvis sang this song. Sorry, tangent here....but I was just looking for it on You Tube to provide you, dear reader, with a link and there is Elvis, crooning away. huh.



Seems it has been covered by lots of artists...I did not know that either.
Hm...nope, after listening to Elvis' much more country sounding version I still find the original Dylan version much more touching and emotional. He sings with such sweet melancholy in his voice and for me that is missing from those other recordings:



This song would be great on a soundtrack.

As an aside: I would love to be the person who picks out music for movies...not score a movie, I have no musical talent, nope, but I could be the "Zach Braff" of Garden State, you know --compile the songs for movies. I feel I would be excellent at this...or maybe I have just watched too many John Hughes films and I think it would be easy. Sometimes when I hear a song I can create a scene from a movie in my head that could feature that song. I do that a lot actually. Or I can pull from my own experiences a moment that would fit with a perfect song. How many times have you sat in a theatre watching a movie and a song swells during a scene and you think I could have picked a better song for that moment?
Or maybe I should just write my own movies just so I can make soundtracks....

No comments: