Sunday, April 02, 2006

"What's wrong with a little destruction...."

Last night I did something I never thought I would ever do. With fourteen minutes left in the third period of the Oil game I got up and had to walk away. I snapped and had to get up and leave the bleeds and get away from the spectacle. I just couldn't take it any more.

It was completely irrational. I know it. I lost it shortly after yet another bad call put us on the penalty kill, and with a goal called back and screaming Flamers fans surrounding me, I thought I might assault the guy behind me so I got up and walked away. And I am one of those people that shakes my head at people who leave the game early to "beat the traffic" or what have you. I have no idea what I will do if we have play Calgary in the first round of the playoffs. I used to enjoy the rivalry and now I find it unbearable. Is it just me or is The Battle of Alberta turning into some sort of horror movie I must watch huddled in fear under a blanket, my left arm tingling, just hoping to God we don't coil one up and hand the flamers another win?
I hate being a poor loser and that, in sum, is exactly what I am.

Song Du Jour: The Fallen ~ Franz Ferdinand

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you did that. I turned off the radio after the call that gave them the goal and basically the win and I was all by myself, no obnoxious Flamer to blame.

Basically the Coil are completely psyched out by Sutter and our coach and goalie situation blows goat. The refs were just the boot to the groin after you've already fallen down a flight of stairs.

Duke

PS-Damn my baby is cute!

Heather said...

I wish you could have seen the tilt when Georges painted the ice red, I imagine the radio may not have done it justice. The blood was pooled on the ice and that I have to say was the highlight of the game for me. The momentum swung to us and that I think would have been the TSN turning point of the game had the ref not been on his knees blowing the game.

Adam said...

It's a real shame. Those braying jackasses behind us were driving me crazy, but I honestly thought I was going to make it until that bizarre penalty thing. "No, how about we're going to take away your goal and give you a penalty?" I guess we all know who won't be reffing any playoff games this season...But in a way, I'm glad...it's games like these that remind me why I hate the Flames so much and why I'll resort to cheering for any team (including Vancouver and Dallas, and yes, even Toronto) to knock the Flames out of the playoffs as quickly as possible.

Oh, how I long for the days when the Flames didn't have any fans and those who stuck around to see them play were only a minor annoyance, kind of like a benign tumour.

At least I didn't break my hat. I was very concerned about that.