Wednesday, August 24, 2005

"'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all" - Alfred Lord Tennyson

When you love someone and it goes to waste...could it be worse?

No matter how hard you try doesn't it seem like you can't love someone just part way? Then you feel like an asshole for having given your whole heart away. But is there any way to avoid it? You try to avoid rejection but you can't stop your heart. Stupid heart.

And holy shit does it hurt when you find out that the other person doesn't share your love. You tell yourself that maybe you misunderstood...perhaps he does have feelings for you, he's just scared, he just needs some time. I wonder if this is just a chick thing? Guys must find themselves on the merry-go-round as well, right? But when you find yourself handcuffed to the merry-go-round and you just can't seem to get off...you get more and more dizzy...and even though it seems like he's sending mixed messages you *know* he's just not that into you. But you can't stop thinking about him. So you cling to the hope that he, deep down, is loving you as much as you love him.

Is it worth it? I think that it is important that you love with all your heart, even if you do get rejected in the end. But I can't imagine controlling love and how exactly does a person manage to save themselves from jumping in with both feet? If you don't love all the way then what is the point? If there is anything I have learned in my short life it is that life is about loss. Those that cope best with loss, and can learn something from it, will have an easier time in the grand battle that is love.
Can love be wasted? Or is it like an investment and sometimes you win and sometimes you lose? Am I just hopefully optomistic?

Love is never easy and I wish I could make the hurt go away but I can't. What do you say to a friend who feels they have wasted their love? The only thing I can think to say is, "I love you."

I love ya, Lady.

Song Du Jour: Fix You ~ Coldplay

"When you're too in love to let it go,
But if you never try you'll never know,
just what your worth..."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said Heather.

Vivec said...

Never give all the Heart
W.B. Yeats
Never give all the heart, for love
Will hardly seem worth thinking of
To passionate women if it seem
Certain, and they never dream
That it fades out from kiss to kiss;
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.
O never give the heart outright,
For they, for all smooth lips can say,
Have given their hearts up to the play.
And who could play it well enough
If deaf and dumb and blind with love?
He that made this knows all the cost,
For he gave all his heart and lost.

JK said...

OK, so I am going through this right now. I was the dumper. I have been the dumpee a few times though, and I know it sucks. After turning the "dumping" tables, I find that being the dumper is even more difficult. It's not an easy thing to do (unless the dumper is a heartless bastard). The dumpee usually doesn't see it coming. At least the dumpee knows how the dumper feels. But the dumper is left wondering if they made the correct decision. Which is where I am at this moment. Bottom line, breaking up is hard to do.

After rereading this it sounds like a post about crap. :)

Heather said...

Doesn't sound like crap to me...

Being the dumper *is* hard, but if you are doing it for the right reasons it is supposed to be hard. You are doing what is right for both of you but it takes a lot of time to get over the initial hurt.
Time is a real bitch too. But I digress...